Tag Picture Quiz

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Oh by way.....no takers on the fruil tracks question?.?:smiling:
That’s not actually very difficult, is it? On the assumption the unfinished question was going to be: “How many Fruilmodel sets do you need to make a diorama replicating the photograph?” it’s just a matter of counting.

The stacks are hard to count in the background, but they appear to be lined up fairly neatly so you can count the number of rows and the number of stacks in one row, plus the individual stacks in rows that aren’t wholly in the picture. Then count the number of tracks in a stack, and you get:

Track count.png

tracks = (white × pink + green) × yellow
tracks = (10 × 6 + 74) × 7
tracks = (60 + 74) × 7
tracks = 134 × 7
tracks = 938

Now for a further assumption: if each track is the right size for one side of a PzKpfw III, then we need one-half that number of Friulmodel track sets, or 469 sets. Add two sets more for the two PzKpfw IIIs and it makes 471 sets (plus one more if you also want to include in your diorama the tank whose mantlet is just visible in the left background). The real number is probably some way off from that, as it’s hard to count the stacks in the background, and some of the stacks look like they’re taller than seven tracks, but I’d say it’s a reasonable enough number to start from. Round it up to 500 to be sure, and ask Friul for trade rates if you’re buying that many.

This leads to also very interesting questions. For one, how powerful a forklift would you need to hire to transport the finished diorama to a model show? And would you be better or worse off using Model Kasten tracks instead? (Less weight, but higher medical bills afterward since you’ll not only need a physiotherapist to get your hands working correctly again, but also a psychotherapist to do the same for your mind after putting all the little parts together.)

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Martin!

Full marks. All I need now is a method of getting coffee spills off my keyboard ....

Made my day and no mistake.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Okay, since it’s my turn again, let’s see what I can come up with now …

What aircraft carrier’s wreck are these planes in?

wrecks.jpg

(Slightly censored for quiz purposes, because the name of the photographer would probably make it too easy to find by looking him up. Apologies to him if he ever happens to read this post :smiling3:)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I can’t see wingfold mechanisms (might be there, just can’t see them) so I was going with Gladiators on HMS Glorious?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
All three are incorrect.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s the one. Here's background on it for those unfamiliar with the Macon — a US Navy zeppelin aircraft carrier that crashed into the sea and sank off the coast of California. I thought the clue would be in the recovery hooks visible in the middle of both wings.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s really cool....sort of Indiana Jones....never heard of it ‘till now....
Great stuff
Tim

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
A few days ago I posted a picture of Bill Speakman VC. i've just read that Bill died yesterday at the age of 90.Any one care to join me in raising a glass to the old soldier? Cheers Bill.
Jon.

D

Deleted member 6559

Trick question! This is a picture of the old Waverley, sunk off Dunkirk in 1940. The new one based at Glasgow was built after the war as a replacement.

Reactions: JR

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Trick question! This is a picture of the old Waverley, sunk off Dunkirk in 1940. The new one based at Glasgow was built after the war as a replacement.

I was going to say! The Waverley is a paddle steamer. Right power source but wrong propulsion system and she isn’t berthed on the Clyde.