Tamiya 1/35 Churchill Mk VII Tank

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks pretty good for a first tank in ages or even at all.

As for weathering, though, I have to disagree: when it comes to tanks, there’s really no such thing as “too much” :smiling3: I mean, just look at how dirty the tanks are in the photo I posted of the Churchill VII and IV in the mud …

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Steve,
for your first tank, I think you should be happy with that - looks good to me! I would suggest you put it out of sight for a day or so, then try to look at it with fresh eyes - you'll nearly always see something that you've missed! Now - All you have to do is apply the lessons you learned, and avoid the potholes you fell down..................
What next? is it your Fokker you've just acquired? - If so it's going to be a little different! Biplanes need a bit of planning ahead - fortunately the DVII has no rigging to speak of, but the whole thing is more delicate! & will need a light touch..........
Dave

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve,
for your first tank, I think you should be happy with that - looks good to me! I would suggest you put it out of sight for a day or so, then try to look at it with fresh eyes - you'll nearly always see something that you've missed! Now - All you have to do is apply the lessons you learned, and avoid the potholes you fell down..................
What next? is it your Fokker you've just acquired? - If so it's going to be a little different! Biplanes need a bit of planning ahead - fortunately the DVII has no rigging to speak of, but the whole thing is more delicate! & will need a light touch..........
Dave
I already put it out of sight haha! but yes good point. as for what's next, I honestly don't know. I have a few in my stash: The fokker, an Me 109, a tamiya spitfire, hobbyboss A10, meng whippet, airfix sea fury, revell P51 etc. It's just a case of what poor kit I want to butcher next. (sorry, just feeling a bit down right now)

We'll see, maybe tomorrow I'll have a plan.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Just caught up Steve. That's not too shoddy a job bud! I think the one thing that is quite common is how hard we criticise our own work. As has been said. Don't be too hard on yourself. I've cocked up on every kit to date but I learned from it, the thing for me is I enjoyed the process, the build, the colouring and the finish. Carry on doing what you're doing, I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide on next.
Doug

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hey Jakko... Remember when I put my tracks on the wrong way round, I was so proud, strutting around the forum showing off my latest build... That's right, that was a Churchill bridgelayer - later it went to the land of models after a glass shelf landed on the top of it....
Steve if you want to you can always snip the track on the underside and then turn the track around... Or better still PM me your address and I will send you my spare set so that you can adjust the tracks - there is always a solution - a few of us on here swap out the 'rubber' tracks for metal alternatives and keep the kit ones for what I have yet to work out.
And looking at your finished Churchill, for a first effort it has got to be 10/10 for a good job well done....
Now a big breath, cuppa, and look at what is next....

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hey Jakko... Remember when I put my tracks on the wrong way round, I was so proud, strutting around the forum showing off my latest build... That's right, that was a Churchill bridgelayer - later it went to the land of models after a glass shelf landed on the top of it....
Steve if you want to you can always snip the track on the underside and then turn the track around... Or better still PM me your address and I will send you my spare set so that you can adjust the tracks - there is always a solution - a few of us on here swap out the 'rubber' tracks for metal alternatives and keep the kit ones for what I have yet to work out.
And looking at your finished Churchill, for a first effort it has got to be 10/10 for a good job well done....
Now a big breath, cuppa, and look at what is next....
Thanks!

as for what's next I really don't know. You know I came back to modelling with one aim and that was to make and finish a model that I can show to my wife and be the tinest bit proud of, it's certainly not this one and I'm beginning to wonder if it was too high a target to hit. Hmmm!

Picking the next 'victim' is not easy, I have..

Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VII (looks nice but it has PE so Nope!!)
Meng 1/35 Whippet (looks too nice to do now)
Revell 1/32 P-51D Mustang (a bit too big and scary to do now)
Miniart 1/35 1919 Omnibus (this is a 'wait until I'm good enough' kit)
Eduard 1/48 Bf 109G (again, has PE parts so nope, too scared to attempt right now)
Hasegawa 1/72 F4-Phantom (This was a mistake, bought it before I realised 1/72 kits are too small for me)
Hobbyboss 1/48 A-10 Thunderbolt (huge box, looks very intimidating)
Airfix 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury (not sure why I bought this one..)
Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk Vb (I idolise the Spitfire, I really don't want to work on this and ruin it)

So yeah, as for my next choice.. not a clue

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Go with something fairly straightforward. If not the Spit then the P-51D. Big, maybe, but is it the OLD one or the newer one?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
ohh no.. if I ruined a Spitfire I'd be gutted. haha
It’s a vice free build, and cheap enough to replace in the unlikely event it all goes Pete Tong. Remember “practice makes better” (perfect doesn’t exist).

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nope the back just has completed model images and suggested paints. According to scalemates this kit (03838) has had new parts in 2021.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
And we're back

Apparently it's a new (-ish 2017) kit
And 'old' one would be simpler but might have age issues. A 'new' one should be a pretty straightforward build. Just remember, don't be intimidated by a large number of parts, or options
Interesting there are no photos , tho, as that's kind of Revell's 'boast' of quality

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Okay, I've decided on my next kit. I didn't want to do something from my stash, so I thought i'd browse amazon for a cheap kit to practice on.

...unfortunately a really good deal caught my eye that I couldn't resist, I may come to regret this but here we go, I won't spill the beans until it arrives tomorrow but one little hint, she's got four engines.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hey Jakko... Remember when I put my tracks on the wrong way round, I was so proud, strutting around the forum showing off my latest build... That's right, that was a Churchill bridgelayer
One to be proud of anyway, regardless of which way round the tracks were :smiling3:

later it went to the land of models after a glass shelf landed on the top of it....
Yeah, that was a bit less of a high point …

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Okay, I've decided on my next kit. I didn't want to do something from my stash, so I thought i'd browse amazon for a cheap kit to practice on.

...unfortunately a really good deal caught my eye that I couldn't resist, I may come to regret this but here we go, I won't spill the beans until it arrives tomorrow but one little hint, she's got four engines.
Lancaster
We shall see...