Tamiya 1/48th Scale Spitfire Mk Vb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I know but it's a subconcious thing. I was always told I was crap at everything and not to even bother trying, so after many years of that, it's sort of engrained in your brain. ie everything you do is substandard and poor. I just need to try and deal with it.
I'm in the same boat as you, just started out. But even from my inexperienced view - you're doing ok. Yeah ok, a few mistakes along the way. In my year on here I can safely say - been there done that - and still making them. I found by posting my builds and getting feedback it helped not just my model building but also my self confidence in what I can do. You just keep on banging away with your 'Spit' Steve. Seriously - it's bl**dy good. Come on - I mean, it's only your second build.
I've just got primer on my Sea King and could rip it apart, this wrong - that wrong but at the stage we are at it will get better and look better too.
Keep on gluing bud.
Doug

Edited to add. What I was trying to say last night was it’s not about how it turns out. For me , it’s did I enjoy it? Yes? Then build again.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I know but it's a subconcious thing. I was always told I was crap at everything and not to even bother trying, so after many years of that, it's sort of engrained in your brain. ie everything you do is substandard and poor. I just need to try and deal with it.
Whoever told you that was the crap one, not you! You have achieved a decent believable camo here with an excellent surface finish. It will look great when you complete the model, and that’s what ninety nine odd percent of the people that see it will think.

If fidelity to actual camouflage schemes is an issue to you, just take that as your next aim when building and work towards it. I’m not saying you should, or that your model is devalued, just that if it niggles YOU (in this context you are the only one that matters) then use it as a stepping stone to your next level of achievement. Self awareness is how we improve. It doesn’t mean we are crap, just that we are looking critically (and I mean that in its most positive sense) at what we’ve done and are looking to build on what we’ve made so it more closely resembles our “minds eye”. Just remember there are no perfect models, and even fewer perfect modellers. Pointing out all the flaws in our own work seems to be innate in all of us. There some supremely talented modellers on here, but every last one of them will tell you that their latest creation, which is perfection to us lesser mortals, is flawed in so many ways. Stick to the forum Steve, and keep posting your builds. I guarantee that all you will get is encouragement, support, and advice. Some of the advice might even be useful ;)

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Whoever told you that was the crap one, not you! You have achieved a decent believable camo here with an excellent surface finish. It will look great when you complete the model, and that’s what ninety nine odd percent of the people that see it will think.

If fidelity to actual camouflage schemes is an issue to you, just take that as your next aim when building and work towards it. I’m not saying you should, or that your model is devalued, just that if it niggles YOU (in this context you are the only one that matters) then use it as a stepping stone to your next level of achievement. Self awareness is how we improve. It doesn’t mean we are crap, just that we are looking critically (and I mean that in its most positive sense) at what we’ve done and are looking to build on what we’ve made so it more closely resembles our “minds eye”. Just remember there are no perfect models, and even fewer perfect modellers. Pointing out all the flaws in our own work seems to be innate in all of us. There some supremely talented modellers on here, but every last one of them will tell you that their latest creation, which is perfection to us lesser mortals, is flawed in so many ways. Stick to the forum Steve, and keep posting your builds. I guarantee that all you will get is encouragement, support, and advice. Some of the advice might even be useful ;)
Wise words as usual from this man!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Morning Steve,
Have read through your build, what a mess!!! is how you would describe it. We on the other hand can see a productive modeller, working his way through several problems and all at the same time. Overcoming those problems and completing the model is your glory and pleasure. OK, so you made a few beginners mistakes - we all do it even if we have years of experience. So you get this one finished, and out of your 'stash' you pick the next most 'difficult' and work your way through each one, and through that you will be gaining more experience.
So to your model.
You worried about those raised lines on the wing tops, they are for the Mk.5 and are wing strengtheners and really who is going to know.
Masking. Ok so you let a little paint through, here is a tip. When you mask up your cockpit or any opening and use paper/tissue, then go around the join with some masking fluid which will peel off after you have finished painting.
Masking 2. If I remember correctly Tamiya included a full size camoflague print you could cut the sections out and using blutac to hold them down, then gently spray around the edges from the print to the model so that you do not lift the print and spray underneath and finish up with a slight soft edge to the camoflague.
Overall impressions. For a second model, you sir are putting a lot of us to shame if we are honest and remember our first models - my first was a 1/72 Airfix DH.88 and it took a whole tube of Airfix glue to glue it and myself to the sofa, then the dining table - points earned - a clip around the ear..... So you are not doing as bad as you imagine you are.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Masking 2. If I remember correctly Tamiya included a full size camoflague print you could cut the sections out and using blutac to hold them down, then gently spray around the edges from the print to the model so that you do not lift the print and spray underneath and finish up with a slight soft edge to the camoflague.
Steve, I combined this method with the same masking putty you have on my swordfish build.

I have some pictures but I'll only post them if you are happy for me to, but basically I cut out the shapes, laid them on the wings and lightly pencilled around them, then applied the masking putty using these lines as a guide.

As has been said, you don't have to be accurate with your patterns, your model, your choice, but if you wanted to in the future it's one way of doing it.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks everyone. I feel quite guilty now complaining, re-reading my comments it's like I'm seeking pity or validation and that's not the case.
I'll be honest I get depressed quite easily and last night I was even thinking of tossing it in and wondering how to sell all my stash ..but after a nights sleep, I woke up
with some determination to see this through.

So this morning I've been masking the fueslage sides, nose and leading edges of the wings as I wanted to spray the underside without overspray ruining the camo.
I've done it now and am waiting for it to dry before peeling it off. Fingers crossed!! I've done it grey though as I don't have the correct colour listed.

Images to come.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Morning Steve,
Have read through your build, what a mess!!! is how you would describe it. We on the other hand can see a productive modeller, working his way through several problems and all at the same time. Overcoming those problems and completing the model is your glory and pleasure. OK, so you made a few beginners mistakes - we all do it even if we have years of experience. So you get this one finished, and out of your 'stash' you pick the next most 'difficult' and work your way through each one, and through that you will be gaining more experience.
So to your model.
You worried about those raised lines on the wing tops, they are for the Mk.5 and are wing strengtheners and really who is going to know.
Masking. Ok so you let a little paint through, here is a tip. When you mask up your cockpit or any opening and use paper/tissue, then go around the join with some masking fluid which will peel off after you have finished painting.
Overall impressions. For a second model, you sir are putting a lot of us to shame if we are honest and remember our first models - my first was a 1/72 Airfix DH.88 and it took a whole tube of Airfix glue to glue it and myself to the sofa, then the dining table - points earned - a clip around the ear..... So you are not doing as bad as you imagine you are.
Good grief Haha!!! I just rummaged through the box and found that right at the bottom! ohhh that's a facepalm, that's my own fault for missing it or not taking note when I opened the box. had to laugh though!

but.. I'm not planning on redoing the camo (unless I've bodged it with my underside spraying which I'll see in about 30 mins.)

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve, I combined this method with the same masking putty you have on my swordfish build.

I have some pictures but I'll only post them if you are happy for me to, but basically I cut out the shapes, laid them on the wings and lightly pencilled around them, then applied the masking putty using these lines as a guide.

As has been said, you don't have to be accurate with your patterns, your model, your choice, but if you wanted to in the future it's one way of doing it.
That would be interesting to see.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Okay, I just gritted my teeth and removed the masking. So here she is with the underside painted.
is she perfect? No!
am I happy with the result? Yes!

also sorry for the bad images, my camera sucks.

spit_14.pngspit_15.pngspit_16.png

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You know part of me says "That's okay" crack on and finish it. and part of me says "That camo is just wrong, you need to just repaint the wings and fuselage with the correct camo"

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nothing wrong with that model, if you ask me. If it were mine, I would just finish it as it is now without bothering to correct it, and think about doing another in future that does have the camouflage as per the original. That way, you get the satisfaction of a completed model and of something to look forward to improving on :smiling3:

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nothing wrong with that model, if you ask me. If it were mine, I would just finish it as it is now without bothering to correct it, and think about doing another in future that does have the camouflage as per the original. That way, you get the satisfaction of a completed model and of something to look forward to improving on :smiling3:
You know you read my mind! That is my exact plan as of a couple of hours ago. Because I have another Spitfire in the post.
but it'll be a while until I build that as it's 1/24th! So tonight I've been working on the canopy which was interesting and quite tricky to mask but we'll see what it looks like when painted!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Okay, I just gritted my teeth and removed the masking. So here she is with the underside painted.
is she perfect? No!
am I happy with the result? Yes!

also sorry for the bad images, my camera sucks.

View attachment 505794View attachment 505795View attachment 505796
Don't worry about the bad focus, I try that with all my work - fools the older members into thinking its their eyes.....
Underside looks fine, wait untill I start my aircraft building after the June Nationals, then you are going to see some mistakes...

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Little update. Yesterday I spent most of my time attempting to mask the canopy. Ideally I wanted to use liquid mask but I have a heap of trouble
applying that to curved surfaces, so I used masking tape and a lot of time fiddling about. The result is so-so
Meaning it looks great from a distance but not good up close (but not totally a bad effort for a first go imo)

spit_16.png

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Better than my first attempt at canopy’s Steve!! Mine looked about a foot wide. See my 1/72 sea king build!!!
Now I use tape trimmed to fit on larger clear plastic and the liquid variety for smaller areas. I apply the liquid mask with a toothpick. Works a treat using that method.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I’ve been following your build Steve and I think it is coming along very nicely.
While you are getting used to masking it might be worth considering investing in pre-cut mask sets which would help you a lot.
Don’t be too down on yourself you are doing well and as some of the other guys have said you are learning and improving your skills as you go along :thumb2:

Geoff.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I’ve been following your build Steve and I think it is coming along very nicely.
While you are getting used to masking it might be worth considering investing in pre-cut mask sets which would help you a lot.
Don’t be too down on yourself you are doing well and as some of the other guys have said you are learning and improving your skills as you go along :thumb2:

Geoff.
I'll certainly do that for my 1/24 Spitfire for sure.

as for my current model, today I've been painting and fitting the undercarriage and just now painted the prop and spinner.
I believe the next step is the decals. I can't remember if you use matt or gloss varnish before you add decals, but I'm sure someone
told me on my last build, so I'll go and read that.