The HobbyBoss 1/32 B24D Liberator.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The only way to truly get rid of the seam would be to fill it from both sides with something that has the same refractive index as the plastic, and then polish it to blend in — but what would be a good filler for that, I have no idea :sad:

There’s an idea for modelling supplies manufacturers reading his forum: please bring out a transparent filler like that …

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The only way to truly get rid of the seam would be to fill it from both sides with something that has the same refractive index as the plastic, and then polish it to blend in — but what would be a good filler for that, I have no idea :sad:

There’s an idea for modelling supplies manufacturers reading his forum: please bring out a transparent filler like that …
Interesting point, but filling it from both sides cannot work due to the need to glue the sides together with the internals fitted. Only the outside can be filled and sanded.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s what I was afraid of :sad: Still, if such a filler could be found, it would at least help to use it from the outside, to lessen the seam’s visibility.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well done Barry on dealing with that seam as well as you have done. That really is daft place for a join.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Barry

If ever you come across this problem again you might try UV activated clear resin, as the glue. This sets to a very glossy clear finish that might just disguise the join.

John
That’s the stuff auto repairers use to repair chips in windscreens isn’t it John? If so, it sounds spot on :thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Would it be possible to make a filler by melting the same clear sprue in Tamyia thin. Then polishing it out?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I assume on the real aircraft turret, the perspex would be all one piece or at least the part in question would have no seam>

Any aberration in the clear perspex would cause the gunner a right nightmare if targets crossed that line, possible causing the target to appear offset.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Comparatively speaking yes. No point having a piece of clear perspex if the gunner cannot see his target. Bombs and missiles are pennies compared to optics.
Sure, but they are consumables like fuel and lubricants. I was thinking more of the huge amounts of aluminium, the engines, and all the electrics and instruments that makeup the reusable bit…...
I would also think that part was cheaper to make than a fighters bubble canopy, which were moulded in many more directions. That part is basically a heat formed flat sheet sheet bent in two directions. Not saying I want to pay for it, but when taken alongside the cost of the whole aircraft it’s not exactly a deal buster ;)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Progress has slowed a bit due to my back problems. Seen my osteopath today for a treatment and had some advice over my seating position. Hopefully the pace of the build will pick up again.

That said I have made some positive progress.

The port fuselage side is done.
IMG_7086.jpeg
IMG_7087.jpeg
IMG_7088.jpeg
It’s been a smooth build so far, no real issues, fit is good with a logical progression.

The Kits World 3D decals are not very good at all, certainly not compared to Red Fox or Quinta, the latter being the best of the lot.

I am getting on now with the starboard side.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Some a
Progress has slowed a bit due to my back problems. Seen my osteopath today for a treatment and had some advice over my seating position. Hopefully the pace of the build will pick up again.

That said I have made some positive progress.

The port fuselage side is done.
View attachment 491708
View attachment 491707
View attachment 491706
It’s been a smooth build so far, no real issues, fit is good with a logical progression.

The Kits World 3D decals are not very good at all, certainly not compared to Red Fox or Quinta, the latter being the best of the lot.

I am getting on now with the starboard side
Some amazing detail there Barry. Impressive.