The HobbyBoss 1/32 B24D Liberator.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I had some back trouble so I was not at the bench for a week. However, the wings are on and seams sanded but my main progress has been on the remaining sub assemblies, engines, main landing gear and so on. There is still a fair bit of work to do on these, see the picture, when done I will be masking up the main airframe and priming it.
IMG_7308.jpeg

This has been a long build, partly due to my back issues, but I feel that I am getting to the home straight now and I should be able to get this done in another two to three weeks.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hope the back improves Barry. Glad the wings are on OK. Big job on a model this size.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been getting on with those sub-assemblies, weathering and detailing.

With the engines I used steel effect Uschi Metal Powders. Having matted the black painted engine I rubbed the metal powder into the centre boss of the engine with a cotton bud to give it an oily steel look. I then dry brushed the powder over the rest of the engine to highlight detail. It’s a very simple but effective way to depict engines.
IMG_7314.jpeg
The undercarriage painted, matted with a wash applied and dry brushed with the chrome effect Uschi Metal Powder IMG_7315.jpeg
The props, for these used a semi-matt varnish then i dry brushed Chrome Uschi Metal Powder over detail, along the edges of the props and a little to depict chips. These metal powder are so versatile for depicting painted metal.
IMG_7316.jpeg

Tomorrow, all being well, I will be doing some masking of the main airframe and spraying black primer.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I have been getting on with those sub-assemblies, weathering and detailing.

With the engines I used steel effect Uschi Metal Powders. Having matted the black painted engine I rubbed the metal powder into the centre boss of the engine with a cotton bud to give it an oily steel look. I then dry brushed the powder over the rest of the engine to highlight detail. It’s a very simple but effective way to depict engines.
View attachment 496122
The undercarriage painted, matted with a wash applied and dry brushed with the chrome effect Uschi Metal Powder View attachment 496123
The props, for these used a semi-matt varnish then i dry brushed Chrome Uschi Metal Powder over detail, along the edges of the props and a little to depict chips. These metal powder are so versatile for depicting painted metal.
View attachment 496124

Tomorrow, all being well, I will be doing some masking of the main airframe and spraying black primer.

Love that effect Barry. That really does look the business.

Andrew

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well this shot of the airframe in front of my spray booth is another illustration of its size.

This is my first use of the large 15ml spray cup with the Colani.

IMG_7320.jpeg
The usual larger spray cups I had, the standard size are 5ml. Two full cups and the top of the airframe has been sprayed.

IMG_7323.jpeg

I will leave it 10 minutes to dry then spray the underside. I can see a fair bit of work is needed on the seams already.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
My good Lord Barry.Thats one hell of a model.Real labour of love with this one.Ive always liked the Liberator that Shep paine did in one of his books.Crashed in the Libyan desert after getting lost on a mission return.Cant think of the name of the bird.
Cracking build pal.
Rich

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A picture of the underside ready for paint.
IMG_7324.jpeg

Sometimes, when spraying this one, I just have to accept that there will be overspray ‘escape’.

Once finish I will go over everywhere with ipa to get rid of as much overspray as I can. The 1/32 Lancaster will seem small after this one.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's simply bonkers!! Is love to see my wife's face of ever I tried something that size!

Keep up the good work Barry.

Andrew

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well everyone. This beautiful lady is now dressed up in her finest black lingerie ready to spray the underside Neutral Grey.

I was right, there was a lot of seam work needed after the first black primer but now we are ready to proceed. This model is certainly taking a lot of spraying!!!

IMG_7326.jpeg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Simply huge!!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have painted the Neutral Grey. As usual with something big, its best to work in small stages. Got there is the end. I managed all this on just one of the large cups of paint! Tomorrow there will be a lot of masking before doing the sand colour.
IMG_7327.jpeg