Trumpeter 1/32 Lightning P-38L-5-LO

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The first stage of weathering this one.
Applying a wash. In this case I am using the Flory washes. I am tinning down the Dark Dirt wash a little to make it less ‘stark’ with some Light wash, two parts dark dirt to one white.

These are clay washes and you just brush it all over the model and let it dry.

Once dry I will remove the surplus using a lint free cloth and, in difficult places to reach, cotton buds. I find these clay washes overall easier on large scale models like this, with lots of rivets, than enamel pin washes. I will be using some enamel washes next though once the surplus is removed.

IMG_6967.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Quite a leap of faith to smear that Flory Wash all over that beautiful paintwork :tongue-out3:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Quite a leap of faith to smear that Flory Wash all over that beautiful paintwork :tongue-out3:
It’s exactly what it needs Jim. The good thing about Flory washes is how they can be cleaned off completely with a wet cloth. I have not used a wet cloth but a dry one to give a dusty patina over the surface. In places where the wash pooled and a mark is left after wiping with a dry cloth, I licked to slightly moisten a cotton bud and gave the patch a wipe. It works well. Adding to the look of a used natural metal finish, slightly uneven, not so perfect, not too shiny, just to get imperfect perfection!

I also used some exhaust wash where needed. I will now look at sone photos to study other weathering patterns, smoke, oil stains and so on.

IMG_6968.jpeg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
It’s exactly what it needs Jim. The good thing about Flory washes is how they can be cleaned off completely with a wet cloth. I have not used a wet cloth but a dry one to give a dusty patina over the surface. In places where the wash pooled and a mark is left after wiping with a dry cloth, I licked to slightly moisten a cotton bud and gave the patch a wipe. It works well. Adding to the look of a used natural metal finish, slightly uneven, not so perfect, not too shiny, just to get imperfect perfection!

I also used some exhaust wash where needed. I will now look at sone photos to study other weathering patterns, smoke, oil stains and so on.

View attachment 489224
This is the stage SWIMBO can't get her head around. Spending so much time getting it looking nice and new!! Then - spending as much time again making it look used!!!!! :smiling2:

Looking awesome Barry.:thumb2: