Trumpteter F4U-1D 'Corsair' 1/32

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've started getting some primer on today.

I'm using white under what will be a yellow nose ring and gloss sea blue. I also intend to mask off the big white markings like the arrows as I don't like the idea of applying such large decals, however good they might be.

Trumpeter decals are usually pretty good, though not always the most accurate :smiling3:

Edit: Dried enough for me to move it for a picture. It looks good in white, though not against the white work surface.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been getting irritated by the amount of clean up I've been doing. Ejector pin marks and seam lines are very pronounced, typically on many small and hard to clean up bits. It's not on really. This is a newish kit and not cheap either. I hope it's not a sign of things to come from Trumpeter.

Anyway, I've got some paint on the fuselage. It's Model Master's Dark Sea Blue. I couldn't get the exact colour in any of my usual brands. I've never used their paints before but I'm impressed. I treated the paint exactly as I would any other enamel and found that it sprayed very nicely indeed. I'm not about to chuck away all my WEM and Humbrol paints but I wouldn't hesitate to use these again.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Quality stuff as always Steve. I'm sorry to hear about the ejector pin marks and the seam lines, it wouldn't put me off buying the kit though because i can see in your build what a magnificent model it can be made into. As I've said before I really like the idea of the folded wings and can see in my minds eye how good this will look on completion.

Great stuff

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's supposed by the 'experts', not me, to be a good match for the original colour.

I'm in a quandary about weathering. The Dark Sea Blue Gloss was formulated specifically to be a hard wearing and protective paint for naval aircraft. The expert consencus (again, not me) seems to be that though the gloss finish did matt down somewhat the colour itself was not prone to fading. I really don't fancy modulating the varnishes (maybe more matt in the centre of various panels) though it may come to that. I may just post shade the paintwork very subtly.

There's not much evidence of chipping or heavy wear on my reference photos. Something is going on around the gun ports in each wing.

I can't tell wheter the paint has been removed or there is a residue, maybe from doping on gun patches.

I believe the Americans used electrical gun heating which, unlike some British efforts, actually worked. I don't know if they applied patches to the gun ports :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hey Steve

Those look very much like gun port patch marks to me but I'm no expert. Another interesting feature is the upper cowling scuff marks on '152'. A panel that's been re-riveted? Great photos BTW.

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Another interesting feature is the upper cowling scuff marks on '152'. A panel that's been re-riveted? Great photos BTW.Cheers

Paul
That was tape applied to seal the panel joins and prevent fluids blowing back onto the windscreen. Some other VF-84 Corsairs had this applied to (155 was one IIRC).

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That was tape applied to seal the panel joins and prevent fluids blowing back onto the windscreen. Some other VF-84 Corsairs had this applied to (155 was one IIRC).

In some pictures there appears to be some kind of residue around those gun ports, in others it just looks like the paint is missing for some reason, maybe cleaning of deposits from the guns?

I won't have to make a decision on this for a while as work is once again about to call a temporary halt to proceedings :sad:

Cheers

Steve

Not sure what happened with the posting.....but you get the idea :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cool details to model. Will you be looking at replicating this? Actually, sorry Steve I'm probably putting the cart before several horses. I'm sure you have a finish in mind and whatever it is it's sure to be class.

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think that I will try to replicate the tape. I'm used to the varied and exotic schemes of the Luftwaffe, so an aeroplane in just one colour needs something to add interest :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The basic painting is now done.

I have post shaded the blue very subtly indeed, anything more looks wrong, at least to the naked eye. I may yet have to fiddle with the varnishes.

Here I will be leaving this build for a couple of weeks as I have to go and earn the money to pay for it again :smiling3: At least the paint will be thoroughly cured before I start the weathering!

I'll revive this thread when I get started again.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking great Steve.

I find it disturbing that the US navy birds had to have arrows on them to tell the pilot which way up they should be and in which direction they should be flying.

Sorry to hear that once again work is getting in the way of your leisure time!

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Steve. You'll be happy to know that the marks around your guns are indeed gun port patches. The Americans appear to have used off-white coloured patches.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Looks good Steve. You'll be happy to know that the marks around your guns are indeed gun port patches. The Americans appear to have used off-white coloured patches.
Thanks for that. This now begs the question, as fresh patches are clearly not applied, whether we are seeing residue from earlier applications or metal where the removal of the patches left after the MGs were fired lifted the paint?

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I'd say it is from the previous patches. Here are some RNZAF Corsairs showing various states of disrepair and serviceability to show the varying states of their machine gun ports:

Patches unbroken:

View attachment 86752

View attachment 86754

View attachment 86755

Guns fired:

View attachment 86753

And some RNZAF F4Us at the end of their service lives showing the wear around the gun ports. Not much paint wear apparent I have to say, and these machines were worked very hard in combat:

View attachment 86756

View attachment 86757

Hope this of some help Steve.

18-07-08232.jpg

Corsair_RNZAF_NZ5440.jpg

rnzafCorsaira.jpg

rnzafcorsairc.jpg

02-08-08-470-1.jpg

02-08-08-471-1.jpg