Trumpteter F4U-1D 'Corsair' 1/32

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Joe, some tremendous photos there and very helpful too. Looks like I'll be replicating some kind of dope/adhesive residue then!

Everything I read about the dark sea blue colour seems to confirm that it was a very tough and resilient finish designed for aircraft operating at sea and in other tough conditions, so I think other signs of wear and tear will be fairly minimal. I can't imagine that aircraft based on a US carrier wouldn't have had damage fairly rapidly repaired. I suppose one advantage of painting aircraft in one overall colour is that this becomes a much simpler proposition.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have made a re-start, slightly gingerly. I figured I could mask and spray the anti-slip panels and walkway lines largely standing up, which is easiest on my back at the moment....so I did.

There are decals on the sheet for these but they always look much more convincing sprayed in my opinion. It isn't hard at this scale.

Cheers

Steve

P

Polux

Looking very good Steve.

I'm with you, sure is much better paint them than a simple decal.

You will add some weathering or chipping effect over them?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
You will add some weathering or chipping effect over them?
Maybe a little. This surface was quite resistant to damage, as was the Sea Blue paint. A little wear and tear will be added.

The anti-slip areas were officially a dark blue/grey with a black border. I can't see the border in photographs and I used RLM 66 for the colour. I like using German colours on allied aircraft ;)

Cheers

Steve

P

Polux

Can I ask if the "lines" on my Stuka are the same..? O_o an anti-slips areas?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice looking Steve do real like that sea blue, ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Can I ask if the "lines" on my Stuka are the same..? o_O an anti-slips areas?
Ju 87s did have some anti slip areas. From photographs it seems that this comprised a strip running from the back of the wing to the pilots entry on both sides. On the port side only there was another smaller area in front of this.

From memory the old Hendon Ju 87 had what looked like metal strips (3 or 4) riveted to the top of the wing in this area rather than an anti slip mat.

I'll add some pictures when I find them :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've done some subtle wear as a sort of average of the available photos. Most is in the inner wing area.

Also that wear around the gun ports (and a little on the leading edge).

This will all be under the varnish. I may add a little more later once decaling is done, but that won't be done, like this, with paint.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Like the weathering Steve,I'm with Polux and Francesco subtle and perfect!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
im with the above looks great Steve ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The residue around the gun ports is spot on I reckon Steve. Good work.

T

tommy1drop

This really is looking nice Steve, looking forward to seeing more.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks perfect Steve. This will be something special when complete. And you're tempting me into buying another kit with this cracking Corsair.

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've finally got the decals on.

They are from Techmod and like previous decals I've used from this manufacturer are nicely made, in register and with decent colours. They are also extremely fragile and prone to break, particularly the larger ones. I cut the big ones down (also a handy way of removing excess carrier film) but the national markings have to be applied in one large go.

Everything is 'microsoled' at the moment and I'll add some photos tomorrow

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here we go.

I have selectively dulled down some areas and the decals with some satin varnish. The heat of the engine seems to have taken the gloss off the finish at the front of the aircraft, so I've tried to replicate that. Low traffic areas have been left more glossy.

Unfortunately my point and click photographic technique doesn't show this to best advantage :smiling3:

I'm hoping to get this done over the bank holiday as I don't think SWMBO has arranged any events or visitors for us!

Cheers

Steve