Wings of the red star-- 1/72 Tupolev ANT 25

C

Caledonia

You always have liked a challenge Tony; have every confidence in you. Cheers Derek

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks more corporate now with the blue lines and cowl, nice going Tony.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Despite the, 'extra' work, it's actually looking very graceful.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Slight setback with this one. I sprayed the blue as seen in the last pics , then after 2 days drying masked the fuselage and sprayed the red . Another 2 days hardening then I removed the masking to find this

The masking tape had left marks in the blue paint, it must have still been a bit soft, so i had to flat down and re apply it

I think i got away with it , next job after a bit more hardening is decals , then its just the little bits and canopies to tackle , cheers tony

View attachment 76035

View attachment 76036

View attachment 76037

View attachment 76038

View attachment 76039

DSCN0143 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0145 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0147 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0148 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0149 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Coming on beautifully Tony. Did it take long to dig yourself out of the pile of sanding dust you created?

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Coming on beautifully Tony. Did it take long to dig yourself out of the pile of sanding dust you created?Gern
I was covered in that much blue dust I looked like a smurf!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
BUGGER! (actually it was 10 times worse than that!) These have got to be some of the worst decals ever! I started on the underside of the wing as I had a feeling they werent going to co-operate, and sure enough the first ones i tried disintegrated into a dozen pieces. I managed to salvage 2 1/2 of the letters and get them on , then it was a case of what to do about the rest. I thought ive got nothing to lose by having a go , so coated the remainder of the sheet liberally with Klear and left for a few days. Tonight I tried again and after soaking each decal for at least 10 mins ,I managed to get them off in one piece and onto the model. They are a bit wrinkly but its a case of beggars cant be choosers ,so I'll just have to touch up the broken bits by hand ,luckily theyre underneath and wont really be seen too much. Next stages - touch up the decals , then its on with the undercarriage , exhausts and glazing and framing the windows , cheers tony

View attachment 76521

View attachment 76522

View attachment 76523

View attachment 76524

DSCN0155 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0156 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0157 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0158 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Good God Tony! Not for you the easy life!!!

Seriously, you do make the most interesting and unusual models but they do seem a challenge. It's good to see model craft like this and I know you'll overcome any problems, including those poor decals.

Great stuff!

Cheers

Paul

First Name
Dave
I hate it when that happens with Decals.I can usually get round it as I have loads of spares.This one would be a problem as I don't have any large white letters in that style.Id probably try covering the area with Tamiya tape,cut out the letters and spray white.Then I can guarantee when I removed the masking some red paint would come away with it!.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's looking good Tony. Nice recovery on the decals, should be easy enough to touch up the broken bits.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
I hate it when that happens with Decals.I can usually get round it as I have loads of spares.This one would be a problem as I don't have any large white letters in that style.Id probably try covering the area with Tamiya tape,cut out the letters and spray white.Then I can guarantee when I removed the masking some red paint would come away with it!.
Yeah , i would probably have been able to wing it with the letters and numbers (wing it , see what i did there ? .... no .. ok I'll get my coat!) but the Cyrillic script on the fuselage would have been a very tricky hand painted job !!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well I touched up the shattered decal and filled in a few cracks and missing bits on the others and I think i just about got away with it. The white colour was a bit tricky to match and I think its a bit too bright but its on the underneath of the wing and might tone down a bit after the final varnish coat. It should be plain sailing from here on (but dont quote me on that if it all goes pear shaped!).Heres some before and after pics , cheers tony

View attachment 76618

View attachment 76619

View attachment 76620

View attachment 76621

View attachment 76622

DSCN0155 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0156 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0159 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0160 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0161 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
...ta dah, good as new!

I think you've mastered this kit. It put up a spirited fight but I think you've got it on the ropes now!!!

Cheers

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done today. The canopies have been unmasked and painted , ive added the top canopy with DF loop and the pitots on the wings . The undercarriage legs are on ,just needing the mudguards fitting later . next jobs are fitting the exhausts and the airspeed indicator venturis, three together on the port side and one on the starboard . I drilled out the holes in these tiny pieces to improve the look of them , although they still look like triple air horns.. La cucaracha anyone?!! Heres a couple of pics

View attachment 76781

View attachment 76782

View attachment 76783

DSCN0163 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0164 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0165 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Sharp paint work Tony. The DF loop looks nice and smooth, I am guessing a little more sanding was required? The pitot tube looks good too. Venturi tubes are a real pest to get looking right. Like little trumpets as you say :smiling3: