Tim’s Airfix 1/35 Austin K2/Y Ambulance .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Moved on a bit…..
BC12CE24-B4EB-4958-8AEB-64A94546C0E7.jpeg
Cab back and load bed assembled….and filled. Look at those pin marks, 16 of them :sleeping2: . Inner sides with stretcher support done as well…..can’t put them together with the load bed until they are painted though. Spare wheel gluing up…..and stretchers ready for paint. It’s one of those where I’m not sure how much more to put together before I start painting. I’m probably going to treat it like an aircraft build……

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Up and at um Tim, sorry tad late to a very interesting build! Any room in the back for me!

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Up and at umbrella Tim, sorry tad late to a very interesting build! Any room in the back for me!
Always room Bob……and as it’s a virtual auditorium there is always room at the front. There is virtual beer, lager, scratchings, and anything else you need or desire……

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Always room Bob……and as it’s a virtual auditorium there is always room at the front. There is virtual beer, lager, scratchings, and anything else you need or desire……
Sod the virtual stuff Tim...
... I'm in,
..And I expect the REAL THING from your goodself mate :smiling3:
... After all,I wouldn't give you a fake Pasty,(and NO,I don't mean the real fakers.... ie,the Cornish!! ;). )

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tim
I’m in for your build of the K2. It will be interesting seeing one of these Katys coming together (I have the Gecko early model kit). It is funny how you can wait ages for a certain model to be manufactured and then several come along all at the same time. This seems to happen too frequently for it just to be coincidence. Anyway, good solid start to the kit and I’m looking forward to the progress.
Cheers, P

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sod the virtual stuff Tim...
... I'm in,
..And I expect the REAL THING from your goodself mate :smiling3:
... After all,I wouldn't give you a fake Pasty,(and NO,I don't mean the real fakers.... ie,the Cornish!! ;). )
I tried to pass on the real thing via the internet but it just made the computer soggy Andy, so virtual it is I’m afraid…..

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim
I’m in for your build of the K2. It will be interesting seeing one of these Katys coming together (I have the Gecko early model kit). It is funny how you can wait ages for a certain model to be manufactured and then several come along all at the same time. This seems to happen too frequently for it just to be coincidence. Anyway, good solid start to the kit and I’m looking forward to the progress.
Cheers, P
Cheers Paul. It would be interesting to compare the Gecko with this one. I do wonder if the 3D renders are made by a separate company and sold on to whoever wants to develop a kit, so if more than one manufacturer takes them up more than one kit results. I know Airfix are releasing other variants on this chassis, one is already announced.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This looks as if it's going together very well. I do wholeheartedly agree with the earlier comment about the manufacturers who have a load of tiny parts to provide detail that will never be seen!
Deciding how much to assemble before painting is often a difficult decision.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This looks as if it's going together very well. I do wholeheartedly agree with the earlier comment about the manufacturers who have a load of tiny parts to provide detail that will never be seen!
Deciding how much to assemble before painting is often a difficult decision.
It is with this one Jim. The stretcher supports complicate matters. If they weren’t there I would just assemble the box and spray the inside then add the roof……I’ll sort it out though. She’s build really well, it’s just those ejection pin marks that mar the kit really.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I watched Nigel of Nigel's modelling bench build this. Looks like a nice little kit. Great start and have fun with the ejector pins.

John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work so far.
Can someone tell me: whats the deal with Airfix and Gekko. Both bring out a K2 Ambulance within weeks of each other, Now Airfix have announced the truck version and bugger me is Gekko have just said the same....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I watched Nigel of Nigel's modelling bench build this. Looks like a nice little kit. Great start and have fun with the ejector pins.

John
Cheers John. Already having fun with them……luckily I have found a good filler. Mr white putty is the best I’ve used since Tamiya (which is unobtainium over here). Sticks well and cleans up smoothly without tearing.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work so far.
Can someone tell me: whats the deal with Airfix and Gekko. Both bring out a K2 Ambulance within weeks of each other, Now Airfix have announced the truck version and bugger me is Gekko have just said the same....
Cheers Ian. I‘ve wondered about this for a while. Not sure, and I may be miles from the truth , but I wonder if there is a third party company that produces three D files of the original vehicles then touts them to the modelling companies to turn into kits? More than one company takes up the offer and we get more than one kit produced. I know there was a bit of legal argy bargy commented on about this one, but the sprue numbering in mine (A, B, and D) shows that Airfix were alway going to produce another variant. Just for the purists, the Airfix kit is the early version, and the Gecko kit is the late version, though both have early and late schemes in the instructions……
Me, I bought this one because it was the first one I saw ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Seat please Tim , well away from the drunks you seem to have drawn in .
Yeah,I know what you mean John...
... that rabble of yours "Oi you... pick that popcorn up" ..... sorry about that,as I was saying, that rabble of yours are getting a bit boisterous,you wouldn't catch me pitching up to a build like that :smiling3: .....
.... now then,where did I put that bloody,buggerin',soddin Zider ?! HIC , ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Pushing on here……lots of bits mounted ready for primer…..should be able to paint and finish the chassis and the cab/ambulance interior then…..
DF69FE86-B519-4415-B7AA-9963B2123E5D.jpeg
Don’t know where I’d be without blue tack and scraps and offcuts…..