Tim’s Airfix 1/35 Austin K2/Y Ambulance .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Well, now it's my turn........"Gees am I really late to this one"! Hope there's a seat left for me Tim....if not I'll just stand in the back and keep an eye on the rabble. As Scottie said, those stretchers are just right! They look well used and well scrubbed. Keep it coming :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, now it's my turn........"Gees am I really late to this one"! Hope there's a seat left for me Tim....if not I'll just stand in the back and keep an eye on the rabble. As Scottie said, those stretchers are just right! They look well used and well scrubbed. Keep it coming :thumb2:
No probs Rick, always room for one more :thumb2: Cheers for the comment as well
PS, not that well scrubbed, one has a stain but no one noticed…..

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Stretchers look amazing tim , how youve captured the look of well worn ( and stained ) canvas is superb , cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Stretchers look amazing tim , how youve captured the look of well worn ( and stained ) canvas is superb , cheers tony
Cheers Tony. Really not that hard, honest. Make up dilute paint of a lighter shade (I added light sand), wet the surface, and fill yer boots ;) Brush down the length of the stretcher and just wick off any large spots with a dry brush to stop any ugly large stains forming. It’s one of the few times overdilution to break up paint structure actually helps :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It certainly works Tim.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Moved on now…..
Cab done….
7B7F745B-586C-4DD3-8C0D-91D42EB84DEC.jpeg
FFF9D635-02B2-4C1A-89F3-29FCF0C2A356.jpeg
Looks like the tyre retainer needs toning down a little…..
D172A629-8776-44A8-A2DD-EC4D71677BFE.jpeg
Steering wheel will go on after assembly…..

4D8C858C-D32E-40AC-8E97-6410173C64BA.jpeg
Stretchers in and inner sides on……

Getting there…..well the pile of parts is getting smaller, though once these bits are assembled I’ll be making some more….

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
excellent stuff Tim-very convincing blood stain
I might have expected a bit more wear and polishing on the stretcher handles though, sorry

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That interior, cab and ambulance part, looking excellent. The wear and tear is spot on. You're right about the tyre retainer, looks rather factory fresh

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
excellent stuff Tim-very convincing blood stain
I might have expected a bit more wear and polishing on the stretcher handles though, sorry
Cheers Neil……..getting your own back eh! :tongue-out3:
Agree about the handles, but when I painted that effect on it just never showed…..don’t know why…..and it’s too late now. Won’t show when the end and roof are on anyway I expect…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That interior, cab and ambulance part, looking excellent. The wear and tear is spot on. You're right about the tyre retainer, looks rather factory fresh
Cheers Jim. I’m not a great one for chipping, so just played around with pigment to get a dusty effect. Best thing is that the cab interior won’t be handled so I don’t need to use fixative….
The tyre retainer was on a different handling block when I painted it, and I think I only used the burnt umber wash on one side….it will be a quick fix…..

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers Mick. Everything on show there is in the kit. I’ve added nothing so far. I can see a couple of areas I might embellish a little in the bonnet area, but not much to be honest. I don’t have any British desert kit I can add either, so she will be pretty much OOB when I’ve finished.
Personal kit in the desert was essentially the same as for NW Europe mate - '37 Pattern web equipment but bleached much paler due to scrubbing and sun drying; 'Old Sweats' made it a point of honour to do so as it differentiated them from the 'sprogs' who hadn't 'got their knees brown!' Rations supplied mostly in wooden boxes, personal weapons Bren, Lee Enfield etc, and fuel and water in tins called 'flimsies' or captured jerricans
Steve

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personal kit in the desert was essentially the same as for NW Europe mate - '37 Pattern web equipment but bleached much paler due to scrubbing and sun drying; 'Old Sweats' made it a point of honour to do so as it differentiated them from the 'sprogs' who hadn't 'got their knees brown!' Rations supplied mostly in wooden boxes, personal weapons Bren, Lee Enfield etc, and fuel and water in tins called 'flimsies' or captured jerricans
Steve
I know Steve, but the trouble is I don’t have any of that lot either ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Tim. The back cabin looks every effective and like it has seen some action.

As a matter of interest, what colours did you use for the blood?

Mike
Hi Mike.
Thanks for the compliment.
That effect was created as follows. I used quite dilute Vallejo Hull red (more water than paint) blobbed onto an already moistened surface on the stretcher. The paint needs to be able to spread out and dry without hard edges, and the wet surface helps it do that.