Tim’s Airfix 1/35 Austin K2/Y Ambulance .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Blue tack and coffee shop stirrers are live savers for me.

It's all looking very good Tim and and I can see it taking shape already
Cheers Mike, they are my most used tools i think…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Moved on a bit again. Internals pretty much done for the back end….
88B73C41-AA6C-4D8B-A859-3A13C3585FB8.jpeg

…..and here’s one a bit closer……
7BFDC852-93C6-43C2-BAEA-37ACD33080E4.jpeg
Stretchers are only placed at the moment, I’ll glue them in before assembly.
Quite pleased with the dusty and worn effect. The floor needs a little dust on the Lino to tone it down and the light switch needs painting. Window will go in when the cab is done.
Panel lining was done with Vallejo game wash sepia diluted about 60/40 with water and with a drop of added flow improver. I moistened the surface first with water then flowed it in. The water stops it drying too fast and minimises coffee staining tide marks. Works for streaking as well.
Cab next then assembly….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Tim i prefer acrylics for washes and stuff,they work quite well when you get the hang of them.
Thanks Mark. Still learning how to best use them to be honest. Got straight brush painting, tints, washes, and layer techniques nailed, but some of this special ops stuff is still in the experimental phase. Can’t get them to work well for drybrushing yet……they just dry too quickly on the brush…..perhaps a job for drying retarder? I might practice on the chassis where it won’t be seen.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Yeah you need to work pretty quick when drybrushing and constantly reapply to the brush but ive never used enamels to compare. I did try enamel pinwashes for bit but couldnt get on with them, just ended up with a model that was sticky for a week after lol.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yeah you need to work pretty quick when drybrushing and constantly reapply to the brush but ive never used enamels to compare. I did try enamel pinwashes for bit but couldnt get on with them, just ended up with a model that was sticky for a week after lol.
I’ve never got on with enamel pin washes either. The pigment is a bit coarse and the solvent is too aggressive. The marketed washes are very smelly as well.
At the moment I find Drybrushing with enamels much easier than with acrylics. It gives a far superior finish when done right. The secret is to use to pure pigment from the bottom of the tin, not diluted paint. Any thinners on the brush and it just smears. It also needs to be done over a matt surface.
Oils are even easier. They have much finer pigment. Leave the oils on a piece of cardboard for a while to leach out excess oil and then use a dry brush (no thinners) to apply. They dry overnight and are matt in my experience.
Oil pin washes work well as well. Make them up using something like Sansodor odourless thinner. You can streak any excess down the model and they have an open working time measured in hours. The down side is drying time again….it can take a day or so.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great work Tim, nice looking kit
Cheers Mick. Everything on show there is in the kit. I’ve added nothing so far. I can see a couple of areas I might embellish a little in the bonnet area, but not much to be honest. I don’t have any British desert kit I can add either, so she will be pretty much OOB when I’ve finished.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on beautifully Tim. Very well done so far.

ATB.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Gees...am I really late for this one, sorry about that Tim.
As for the continuity error in the clip, besides the missing cigarette and foam, right after Mills says what are you waiting for...the long cool Dane should have walked in with the jingle playing. :smiling6:
Must get one of these...looks a good kit.

Cheers,
Wabble

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Gees...am I really late for this one, sorry about that Tim.
As for the continuity error in the clip, besides the missing cigarette and foam, right after Mills says what are you waiting for...the long cool Dane should have walked in with the jingle playing. :smiling6:
Must get one of these...looks a good kit.

Cheers,
Wabble
No issues with lateness Richard. Great film isn’t it! The kit lives up to it to be honest. Nothing major yet that I’ve found to worry about, and it is a good basis for anyone that wants to go full out on upgrades.