Tim’s Airfix 1/35 Austin K2/Y Ambulance .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
back on track and seems to be going together well. Looking more and more like Katy.
Cheers Jim. Never got off track to be honest, just had a couple of minor RA flares and run up against the boring bits I didn’t want to do. Done now though……well, mostly :tongue-out3:
She’ll be close enough to film star Katy, but not identical :thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Something that supports Katy’s painted windscreens……not limited to the film it seems, but it’s the only other one I’ve seen….
View attachment 472826
Interesting that they are all different sizes, and the second and third ones are not even square (I know they are different vehicles)…..front vehicle cab and body seem to be slightly different colours as well….
The thing is that it is only the leader of that convoy that is a K2Y. The following trucks all have a two part grill and the rear wheel arches are fitted and round. The box is also wider than the cab. Maybe a Tilly with a box conversion?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
just had a couple of minor RA flares and run up against the boring bits I didn’t want to do
Glad things are OK, Tim. I think every kit I've ever made has had times in the build when the mojo went down hill, usually somewhere in the middle. The excitement of starting has passed and completion seems a long way off :rolling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The thing is that it is only the leader of that convoy that is a K2Y. The following trucks all have a two part grill and the rear wheel arches are fitted and round. The box is also wider than the cab. Maybe a Tilly with a box conversion?
Yep, I got that Ian, but seeing it on more than one vehicle type surely shows it was in common usage. Not sure what the others were, by the way, but they look too big for Tilly’s.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Glad things are OK, Tim. I think every kit I've ever made has had times in the build when the mojo went down hill, usually somewhere in the middle. The excitement of starting has passed and completion seems a long way off :rolling:
Happens to me every single time Jim, even with the little blokes. Trouble is, I’m not one of these guys that can just flog myself through. I’ve tried it and I just cut corners and make mistakes. Usually I do something mind numbing like parts clean up to get through that period. In the case of the little blokes I start cleaning up and assembling the next unit, for example . However, in this case I ran out of parts ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep, looking very crisp there Tim,
Sorry to hear that you had that flare up.... must be awful :sad:
Looking forward to seeing this come along,(nice clamps by the way!! ;) )

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, looking very crisp there Tim,
Sorry to hear that you had that flare up.... must be awful :sad:
Looking forward to seeing this come along,(nice clamps by the way!! ;) )
Thanks Andy. It wasn’t bad as flare ups go, just sore wrists and fingers feeling like sausages mostly. Still there, probably will be until I get to try yet more new meds, but it’s not as bad.
Should move on a bit tomorrow, but not sure about Friday. We’ve got the power off when the sparky fits a new distribution board, so probably try and stay out most of the day……
As to the clamps, incredibly useful F clamps but I have absolutely no idea where I got them…

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Andy. It wasn’t bad as flare ups go, just sore wrists and fingers feeling like sausages mostly. Still there, probably will be until I get to try yet more new meds, but it’s not as bad.
Should move on a bit tomorrow, but not sure about Friday. We’ve got the power off when the sparky fits a new distribution board, so probably try and stay out most of the day……
As to the clamps, incredibly useful F clamps but I have absolutely no idea where I got them…
Getting a new Dis board eh?... Should've asked me... I'd have done it "Mate's Rates". ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Bit of a long old haul for that Andy…….the mileage rate alone would have crippled me LOL…..
We could've worked something out...
... A proper look at all your "Little Blokes",and a Whiskey Infront of that cracking real fire of yours, would've been a good start!! ;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great update and even better work being done on this Tim!!! I'm still hanging in there and loving it...

We could've worked something out...
... A proper look at all your "Little Blokes",and a Whiskey Infront of that cracking real fire of yours, would've been a good start!! ;)
Before or after you did the job Mr. Smiff???...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great update and even better work being done on this Tim!!! I'm still hanging in there and loving it...

Before or after you did the job Mr. Smiff???...
Thanks Allen, too kind! As to Andy, that would probably be “during” rather than before or after LOL…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, after a weeks hiatus while I fought off a minor infection with a reduced immune system, I have got a bit more done…..

384DA8B5-9356-4299-A5DD-4AA034ABD390.jpeg
39997164-B66B-4584-974B-6E3561194E4D.jpeg
Body assembled and main colour painted and faded. Pin wash and dust applications will be done after it’s completed and decalled…..some minor filling needed, but mostly due to my ham fisted and impatient assembly.

391FC428-0A45-4A67-B701-DDEFC37A7EFC.jpeg
2055D540-EC1E-4543-9DC8-4FD6E5AF9236.jpeg
Chassis painted and pin washed. Note the horrible Austin engine colour……used up until the early seventies (my old 1972 Austin 1300 engine was this colour). Dust will tone it down a bit….

Next job is to assemble the body onto the chassis so I can complete the bonnet area build and add the minor parts and some extra detail.

Getting there now. Once the body and chassis are United it’s all downhill…..

Cheers all

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
great job, Tim.
Sorry to hear about the infection, but glad to see you back in the saddle.
I bet the instructions didn't tell you about the engine colour (which I love)?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
great job, Tim.
Sorry to hear about the infection, but glad to see you back in the saddle.
I bet the instructions didn't tell you about the engine colour (which I love)?
Hi Neil. Cheers for the support. Nope, the engine colour was not in the instructions. Never is to be honest. According to kit makers they are either body coloured or black…..
As to the infection, par for the course these days. My wife got over it in two days, and it’s taken me just over a week now……