AFV 1/35 SCALE STURMTIGER.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not much at the moment John :D

I did post a Gunpla build here couple of weeks ago called Tallgeese. I decalled the Mobile Suit and will need to give it a clearcoat. But since I spray in the basement and it's a bit of dusty room I've ordered a spray booth and hope this will work eleminating dust particles settling down on the model. Besides that I'm building a wingy thingy (no photos or thread just yet, not really interesting at the moment) and I hope to revive my U-boot thread soon as well :D

But at the moment I need to settle with looking at cool builds going on here :D

Cheers
Right, Wouter, sorry I missed the Gunpla build, excuse my ignorance, is that Si - Fi. ?
Hope you get the spray booth sorted, I remember you saying before that you sprayed in the basement. You won't regret getting one, and wonder why you struggled for so long while dust .

John .

Fantastic John!

Thank Peter. :thumb2:

John.

John

Wonderful works sir.... and Thanks for all the fish.

John
Glad you liked the fish John, the pond is so clear since the big clean.
As for the build, thanks, I remembered your barn with the lights from some time ago, coupled with Stevens Mortar , that started the idea. So thanks .:thumb2:

John .

First Name
Wouter
Right, Wouter, sorry I missed the Gunpla build, excuse my ignorance, is that Si - Fi. ?
Hope you get the spray booth sorted, I remember you saying before that you sprayed in the basement. You won't regret getting one, and wonder why you struggled for so long while dust .

John .
Yeah, really looking forward to the spraybooth. I was annoyed by the dust for years now but never was willing to spend some cash, quite happy I finally took the plunge lol.
Gunpla is sort of sci-fi, mostly based on Japanese anime cartoons from the Gundam universe. You didn't miss the thread though, you replied to it ^^

Cheers

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yeah, really looking forward to the spraybooth. I was annoyed by the dust for years now but never was willing to spend some cash, quite happy I finally took the plunge lol.
Gunpla is sort of sci-fi, mostly based on Japanese anime cartoons from the Gundam universe. You didn't miss the thread though, you replied to it ^^

Cheers
Ha! Well glad I did ! :smiling:
John

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi John, the lighting sounds like a good plan.:thumb2:
Absolutely love the roof steel work:tongue-out:, keep at it sir!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just better & better. Love the lacy trusses. PaulE

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi plastic gluers :smiling4:

Good day at the bench, spraying the corrugated sheets. also esp for Peter ( stillp ) a pigeons nest_MG_3878.JPG
and droppings on the steels. No rust yet Mick but If I have time tomorrow.
I sprayed the under side of the frame with some black primer, to give the effect of fumes the other afternoon before I started the sheets.

Some of you still awake at this point may well remember the plastic roofing sheets.
_MG_3598.jpgS1.jpg
and the formers I made.

_MG_3600.jpgS3.jpg
Once a supply of new aluminum take away containers has been obtained from Wilko's I set too.
_MG_3854.jpg    F3.jpg
Exhibit A

Realising you need a strong heavyish roller, and Mrs R's trusty rolling pin was not upto it I found the remains of a floor cleaner did the job

_MG_3851.jpg       F1.jpg
Exhibit B
Never mind that bit of of rust on the end, always a good reference when painting !

Exhibit C
Rolling out, it takes a fair amount of time, you can pull the compressed corners back out to a point, but in the end I just recycled those bits.
_MG_3857.jpg       F5.jpg
Cutting it into 3 sections, then removing the rounded ends gave about 4 full sheets and 2 3/4 sheets.These will be used on the lower ot top .
_MG_3858.jpg F6.jpg
I used a seam roller as well to iron out some small creases.
Resulting in.

_MG_3601.jpgS5.jpg
You have to allow a little extra in length, this is used to hold the sheet in line as you rub / press the top former over the sheet. The sides I cut some to width and then left the others wider these will be cut down later.
Then came the treatment, thinking about it I should have made the solution stronger. Taking a packet of .
_MG_3865.jpg  F8.jpg
Adding this to a glass jar, placing a section in , then when it foamed, removing and placing the sheet in clean water. Nasty stuff, so full HSE, esp eye protection and gloves. I did this in the garden, as I could smell the fumes, not all that strong, but bad enough.

_MG_3866.jpg   F9.jpg
The results were ok, maybe not deep enough, but paint/ pigment will enhance the overall finish.

_MG_3869.jpg F11.jpg
You can see the small creases in some of the sheets, but its supposed to be an old roof, so would expect some damage.
_MG_3870.JPG
Drying after a coat of white primer.
_MG_3875.JPG
I've sprayed these with a mixture of rust colours and added some pigment, can't really do any more until they are fixed on the frame.
I have ordered some lighting from JS Miniatures, really helpful, I sent a list of what I wanted, and a couple of photos. The lady who runs the business sent me email to say that she had quoted for warm lights as she thought that's what they had at the time. I had completely forgotten to say if I wanted daylight or warm. These hopefully will arrive in a week or so. There will be 2 x 3 w bulbs in the roof and 1 x 1.8 w bulb under where Kurt is , attempting to repair the shaft.

I also tried some normal aluminum cooking foil, folding it into 3 thickness, gluing together with spray adhesive
_MG_3859.jpg F6.jpg
_MG_3861.jpg F7.jpg
Worked well and came out at .
_MG_3862.jpg F8.jpg
Not far off the container thickness, no real problem treating apart from getting a little bit of edge loss. If you were to leave a sheet in a stronger mix it just disappears !!!

Thank for looking in, comments by all means.
John.

Attachments

• _MG_3852.jpg F2.jpg
    _MG_3852.jpg F2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 11

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi John,
Great work on the wriggly tin. And a nice touch with the nest. Really enjoying this build.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice start on the roof John and like the little nest too, gives a dio like yours that extra touch.:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John,
Great work on the wriggly tin. And a nice touch with the nest. Really enjoying this build.

Thanks Paul...... That nest was down to Peter, and it was a great idea. Might put some eggs in it. :smiling2:

Nice work John, all this work will really pay off....got a feeling this will be a cracker:thumb2:
Si ..... Very kind of you.
Nice start on the roof John and like the little nest too, gives a dio like yours that extra touch.:thumb2:
Fernando ....... Cheers buddy.
Gardening first thing, then back to that roof.
Heard from JSminitures that the light kit is in the post. Anyone thinking of doing lightswould do well to have a look at their site.
https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk.. Beyond helpful, can't beat a small co for service.
John.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Dude 2,

You have really stepped up your game here Buddy. The corrugated roof will definitely look real as you have a way with these things. Eggs in the nest you say??? You need to make an appointment with the shrink immediately, if not sooner.

This will be your best yet, no doubt!!! I love the alu foil trick too as a single sheet is never thick enough. Go Gadget, go!!!!!!!!

Prost
Allen

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude 2,

You have really stepped up your game here Buddy. The corrugated roof will definitely look real as you have a way with these things. Eggs in the nest you say??? You need to make an appointment with the shrink immediately, if not sooner.

This will be your best yet, no doubt!!! I love the alu foil trick too as a single sheet is never thick enough. Go Gadget, go!!!!!!!!

Prost
Allen
Dude1 ...... Thank you, shrink you say........mmm , might be a bit late for that.
Patient no 453.
Ward 9

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn Dude 2, I thought they let you out for good behavior and to do the pond liner for Christine. Sorry 453, I didn't know you were still in!!! Do you need a care package or the something to get by????!!!!!!

Dude 1

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Damn Dude 2, I thought they let you out for good behavior and to do the pond liner for Christine. Sorry 453, I didn't know you were still in!!! Do you need a care package or the something to get by????!!!!!!

Dude 1
A nice nurse would suffice thank you !

D

Deleted member 6559

This is getting industrial and scientific. Amazing model making John.