Battle of Britain build part 3 - Spitfire! (Revell 1/32 new tool Spit Mk.II)

D

dubster72

Wow! Amazing stuff Paul! You're attention to detail is awesome as is your workmanship.

Lovely straight lines on the pre-shading too.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All's looking good Paul. Glad your on the move again.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A & B pattern camouflage and a spot of paint

Finally got some paint on the 3 'wheels up' Spits. The 3 aircraft in question will all be from 610 sqn ,which I know is a very well known BoB sqn but was based at Biggin Hill during the battle and therefore interesting to me (Biggin Hill is just up the road fro me). The profiles are shown below:

2 aircraft are finished in the B scheme with DW S (R6686) in the A scheme.

Below are the 3 models with the camouflage paint on (I apologise for the quality of the photographs as there was no natural light whatsoever. The lighting in the room has unfortunately burned out some of the detail in the paintwork but should be apparent when I shoot these properly on completion).

And this shot shows the sky undersides...

Next time...

Airbrushing the markings with the use of masks.

Cheers

P

D

dubster72

Nice one Paul! I have a soft spot for Biggin Hill as my nan served there in the war as a plotter.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cant wait to see this finished Paul , looking excellent now , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Excellent!

Apart from the Tupperware it looks like the Eastleigh production line :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking real good Paul, cannot wait to see them finished, ;)

F

F-104nut

Holy shit this is simply some amazing and beautiful work . Your model skillz is just awesome . The attention to detail is simply realistic. I love what you have going on and awesome work on the office and the exterior pain. Please keep the kick ass work coming :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Cheers Brian

PS I also have this kit and look forward to building ;)

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
And finally we have some primer on the 2 going in the dio, plus pre shading. The 3rd Spit (photo Spit) is ready for masking and should be primed this weekend.

Hopefully this weekend we should have some top coat on them. It's been a while since i painted an aircraft Dk Green and Earth and I'm strangely excited about it. I'm also going to be painting all the markings apart from the serial numbers

Hope to get a bit done this weekend.

Cheers

P

ps. Thanks everyone who has commented on this rather stop start build. :smiling3:
Really nice work Paul, do you use airbrush for the preshading?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Really nice work Paul, do you use airbrush for the preshading?
Hi Phikoleoputra. Yes, the preshading was airbrushed using my Iwata Custom Micron AB, Life Color paint thinned approx 2:1 paint to thinner, pressure around 18psi. Hope this helps.

I also have this kit and look forward to building ;)
Hi Brian, the kit is really nice to put together, it will need a little work to backdate it to a Mk1 (should you want to) but nothing too taxing. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the build.

Thanks everyone for the comments should have some markings on these 3 by the end of the day.

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Painting aircraft markings with masks

Hi all

I wanted to post some progress on the painting of the 3 'wheels up' Spits today. I managed to crack and get 1 of the 3 to a stage that is worth reporting on.

And here it is, DW O with nearly all it's markings on ( only tail fin flash to go).

Port side

Starboard side

I'm fairly happy with the results I've got from masking. They are a bit bright at the moment but will tone down somewhat when I apply the weathering stages. They also need a bit of tidying up here and there but generally I'm happy with how it went. Masking and painting aircraft markings is a time consuming process though and I wouldn't recommend it for all models. That said, nothing beats this for a painted on look and it certainly gave me a real insight into how difficult it is to squeeze on these simply huge markings onto the fuselage of the Spitfire! I read somewhere that the guys that sprayed the markings on the real aircraft had to stagger the fuselage roundels (they are not symmetrical on both sides) just so they could fit the DW on the starboard side! And that's exactly what I had to do!.

Anyway, I hope you like the aircraft so far. Tomorrow DW O should be joined by his buddies DW K and DW S!

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very, very nice Paul what a difference those decals make they are really coming to life.

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Ian/Vaughan

Very, very nice Paul what a difference those decals make they are really come to life.
Trying something new with these builds. The markings aren't decals I'm sirbrushing the roundels, flashes and codes on. I guess I can take your not noticing as a sign that the mask work is ok!??

Should have the other 2 finished tomorrow.

Thanks

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The painted markings look superb Paul , is it a readily available mask set like Montex or have you had to make your own?

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
My mistake Paul Great masking I ment to say.

R

Richy C

This is great and amazing work with the masking , drivers ( sorry pilots ) look fantastic ,

Richy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

just got round to finishing the three 610 sqn Spits markings (apart from tail fin flashes). It's been a long-winded task but I'm pretty happy with the result overall. As I've said there is some tidying up to do as well as finishing the fin flashes.

Here's where the 3 model are at the moment...

The painted markings look superb Paul , is it a readily available mask set like Montex or have you had to make your own?
Tony, the masks were made by me on my plotter. To be fair the masks are as good as Montex, the major issue has been the process, which as I say is very long winded. I had originally planned on using decals throughout but thought I'd give this a go.

The markings do need some touching up, plus I think I airbrushed the 'don't walk' lines too thick. I'll address all these issues when I next get some free time (which won't be for a while now).

My mistake Paul Great masking I ment to say.
No worries Vaughan - I'm glad you like them. :smiling3: Thanks Rich, Tone - I do hope these 3 are worth the wait!

Cheers

Paul