How's your Aircraft Recognition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

duncan

#29 Nope wrong continent, looks similar to Pitcairn. Is #47 an Antionette(?) sesqui-plane variation ?

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Spot on with the FD1!Picture is from a RAF Flying Review
*** The finest aviation magazine ever published which set the standards we know of today,still have mine,drawings,files,content etc were first class.

D

duncan

#48 James Cagney with Paul Mantz, aviator and stuntman for many Holywood aerial epics, killed making "Flight of the Pheonix".

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
#48 James Cagney with Paul Mantz' date=' aviator and stuntman for many Holywood aerial epics, killed making "Flight of the Pheonix".[/quote']*** Spot on Duncan,together with Frank Tallman ( also killed when his Piper Aztec flew into high ground shortly after take off ) they set up Tallmantz Aviation,the company were responsible for providing flying sequences for hundreds of films,the Beech 18 flying through an hoarding in 'Its a mad,mad world' the replicas built for 'The Spirit of St Louis' the camera ship B-25 Mitchell was a common sight in Europe claiming fame as the largest aircraft ever to touch down at Old Warden,making an overshoot.

The tragic crash of the 'Phoenix' after it struck a sandbank and literally broke into two pieces was to be the last stunt that Paul Mantz provided for the movie industry in his long and illustrious career,he has never been replaced in the industry,his skill,nerve and ability to get the job done were second to none,if you see a film where there is flying being pushed to the limit then you can bet that Paul Mantz or Frank Tallman had something to do with it.

A truly great aviator,the Phoenix and his career are well worth searching out on the internet.

Someone has also provided a very neat little card cut-out model of the Phoenix for modellers in his memory.

D

duncan

#49 not in close formation but nailed together ! Fouga stuck two CM8 fuselages together to make a C88 "Cyclone" . Test-bed for Turbomeca jet engines. Only two built.

D

duncan

#50 What a beauty ! Looks like Arado fin and rudder shape, presume it was for aerial photography or mapping ? Civvy reg..D prefix or is it a B, hmmmm..!

D

duncan

#51..Tante Ju had a nose job ? Early sponsorship by Gatorade ? Must be a streamline cover for a ferry flight on two of the three engines, middle one U/S.? #29 yep, Westland built it for Senor Cierva.

Last edited:
K

Kiwi

To answer your questions Duncan- No, No and No.

Can we clarify about marking when they are answered, are we to put the name by the picture or link to the post where it was identified? I thought it was the latter but some are using the former . I'm confused.

D

duncan

A triple whammy for me then ...negatory on all three. Dammit! I dont know how we are supposed to answer or where. Sorry, I`m confused too . I thought a marker of some kind on the pic when it was identified but to see the answer we had to come here.

K

Kiwi

I thought that's how it was to work too, but #42 has the answer by the picture?

Working my way through them, #41 is the CAMS 120 and #43 is the Dornier G1.

Thats all for tonight.

Last edited:
D

duncan

Sleep well sweet Prince, we`ve got a blizzard to contend with at 10.30am Tuesday, might go back to bed too! Methinks the Croc mouth might be on a flying-boat, a trial mod for rough water work ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
#51 is this a Junkers 52 3/m suitably modified ?

D

duncan

Barry, Tante Ju (German for Aunty Ju) was nickname for Ju 52-3. We called her "Iron Annie" . See post #452 onwards. Here is a good site on the subject. Like the one on floats but we need the ski equiped one today here in the Highlands. www.ju52-3m.ch Think those four Swiss ones are faked?

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I thought that's how it was to work too, but #42 has the answer by the picture?Working my way through them, #41 is the CAMS 120 and #43 is the Dornier G1.

Thats all for tonight.
*** I think there has been some confusion,when the picture has been identified place an icon on that page,you could then link it to the URL here or just put the message number that identifies it,that should do the trick.

I think that everyone has been experimenting as to the best way and the most convenient system to find the answer,with a bit of fine tuning it will evolve.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Take a look at picture #46,the aircraft was identified so the icon was added,there is also a message number link to the answer and also as another experiment I have cut and pasted the direct link to the answer here,click onto that and it gets you straight to the answer itself,very quick for the user.

You could just use either the direct link or the answer message number it does not really matter ?

If we could each perhaps once a month update the answers to our individual contributions by placing the respective icon and the answer link,that should do the trick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.