How's your Aircraft Recognition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

duncan

Well #4 being a seaplane will be named after a seabird, any ideas Barry?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well #4 being a seaplane will be named after a seabird' date=' any ideas Barry?[/quote']*** Duncan,this one is haunting me,I have seen it before,must try and crack this one,Kiwi certainly knows how to keep us on our toes !

D

duncan

Wonder if he has a secret cache of "specials" in Christchurch or somewhere we cant access ? If he`s not carefull we`ll just send Billy Connolly back there !

D

duncan

#5 looks like a Fokker Super Universal with Arctic cowling for Alaska or Siberia...#381(old) is a Handley Page HP47 (G.4/31) bomber/torpedo bomber. :dan2:

Last edited:
K

Kiwi

#27 is the Handley Page Gugnunc built for the Guggenhiem Air Safety Competition. Maybe that has something to do with the name?

HP 47 is correct.

K

Kiwi

#28 is the Houston Westland PV3 Wallace. On of the first two aircraft to fly over Mt Everest

D

duncan

Correct #28 The Houston part was of course Lady Lucie Houston who sponsored the Everest flight. Her Highland estate is three miles from where I am at the moment. PV 3 I presume is "private venture" 3. Two of the pilots started Scottish Aviation Ltd at Prestwick. (Clydesdale and MacIntyre.)

K

Kiwi

Wish you guys would hurry up and identify some of these aircraft! I've got heaps more to post but don't want to get too far ahead!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Wotsthisthen? Just curious...
*** This amazing piece of metalmungery was built by Tom Gillespie in 1999 in San Diego,the pseudo flying machine was exhibited at the 1999 Paris air show and fooled onlookers by actually taxying out to the end of the runway and vanishing the other end still not airborne ! the Citroen news Vol 8 No.4 carried details of her,the previous year the same car was shown at Paris as a pink 2CV complete with attached trailer in the shape of a pram,someone has a wild and mischevious sense of humour.

Another 2CV Flying machine appeared at the Birdman event at Brighton,and was last seen underwater with the driver/pilot sitting on the roof awaiting rescue.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
#27 is the Handley Page Gugnunc,if you want to see this early STOL then visit the excellent Science museum outstation at Wroughton,Wiltshire where she is preserved to this day,always thought that this would make a good model subject.

The Handley Page fitted slots became a standard fitment on many aircraft.

K

Kiwi

I would say that #30 is the Avro Athena, a competitor to the Balliol which was preferred by the RAF.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would say that #30 is the Avro Athena' date=' a competitor to the Balliol which was preferred by the RAF.[/quote']*** Correct,17 ordered for the R.A.F ,17 scrapped overnight including all instrumentation and engines,the Balliol was favoured but somehow 17 Athena's had been delivered meanwhile,all evidence of them was destroyed,what a waste of tax payers money,it was hushed up as usual.

D

duncan

#10 (was #258) IS Czech , not Dutch, it is a Praga E-51. What happened to the "thumbs" ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
#10 (was #258) IS Czech ' date=' not Dutch, it is a Praga E-51. What happened to the "thumbs" ?[/quote']*** I dont know Duncan,seems to be a technical glitch at the moment as they are all missing ? perhaps John can help here ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
#31 Had almost forgotton about the Handley Page HPR.2 direct contender to the Hunting Percival Provost,only two built to Air Ministry spec T.16/48,such cases of extreme simularity cionvince me that there must have been industrial espionage even then ! just plant a person in the design office and microfilm the drawings.

K

Kiwi

Well as it appears that you chaps might be a bit stuck on some of the obscure aviating devices I have posted, and I am keen to put some more up but don't want to get too far ahead of you all, I thought I might let you into the secret of what some of the early ones are.

#4 is the Short Gurnard, one of very few British centre float designs.

#5 is the Werkspoor Jumbo, a one off freighter used by KLM.

#6 is the Berezynak-Isaev B1, a Russian rocket powered interceptor nick-named the "Devils Broomstick".

#7 is the Nord 2100 Norazur..

Now try some of the others.(a clue: of mine, there are 4 British, 1 American and 8 European)

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This morning the missing images were replaced and John has upgraded the site with the thumbnails now all in place again.

I think we are ready for some new ones to do battle with Kiwi ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yippee had a call from Bill' date=' his twin-hull streamliner is a Bleriot 125[/quote']*** Great artwork Duncan,do you have any more like this ? :bravo: for Bill Barnes.

Status
Not open for further replies.