Pacific Carrier/Aircraft chat thread.

Greg_147

SMF Supporter
First Name
Greg
I've picked up one of these to have a crack at this GB. If I understand correctly, the green paint was only used for land-based Zeros? I'm hoping someone may be able to provide some insight on that one, otherwise I'll be doing it all plain grey!

20230130_182456.jpg

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've picked up one of these to have a crack at this GB. If I understand correctly, the green paint was only used for land-based Zeros? I'm hoping someone may be able to provide some insight on that one, otherwise I'll be doing it all plain grey!

View attachment 473168
No one seems to know for sure what colours they were painted ,lots of conflicting info. The overall white or grey is now thought to be a myth, early zeros were painted in Ame-iro a pale green with a caramel hue to it, later land based planes were painted in the darker mitsubishi green overall and carrier based planes with the pale bluish grey underside, think you need to do a bit of research and come to you own conclusion really.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I would suggest that certainly towards the end of the war, the Japanese threw everything and anything into the conflict. I don't suppose they gave much attention to what colour went where.

Just a though to ease the colour choice pain a bit.... ;)

Emperor Hiro Hito.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Perhaps I'm being a bit naive, but I'm relying on a Japanese manufacturer getting the colours right, on my Hasegawa 1/48 Nakajima Kate - Pearl Harbor attack - Nakajima Green ( there was aso a Mitsubishi green ).
Dave
Nice optimism Dave, but early Airfix and the British Caunter scheme says you’re possibly not going in the right direction ;)
It’s actually quite surprising how quickly some of this stuff gets forgotten or misunderstood, especially when the fallibility of memory is all you have to work with…..mind you, Japanese colours were notoriously bad for fading and chipping, so near enough will be close enough……

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Japanese colours were notoriously bad for fading and chipping
That mostly applies to the Army Air Forces, AFAIK, which were usually painted without primer — often even in the field with no preparation at all. Navy planes, OTOH, got a good, strong primer coat in the factory because of the environment they would operate in.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm totally confused , before any one says anything , more than normal !