Panzer IV

First Name
Robert
Got a bit done last night, the tank has had its second coat of paint which is RAl 8020 on upper surfaces and RAlL 7027 on lower hull. I stripped the exhaust of paint and given a light rub with 600 grit paper so it will take the rust effects better. Engine decking next to be done and weathered.

Still have to paint the tools/ weather and do some chipping effects to the turret and left side of the tank( damaged side.)

Once all that is done I'll start weathering and start on the pastels to emulate the burn effects ( thanks to Peter and Patrick on burning info with metal as I have quite a few ref pics ( colour of rust effects and burn effects on metal.

I have started making another German who has succumbed to his wounds I still need to do work on him The base is now dry ready for paint and weathering.lots still to do

All coming together slowly but surely

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good so far,do like the damage to the guard,and the figure has his work cut out, ;)

First Name
Robert
\ said:
looking good so far,do like the damage to the guard,and the figure has his work cut out, ;)
Thanks Monica,

The tank is going to be destroyed and I still need to work on my German as he is dead and I know it sounds gruesome but I need to operate on his head and neck to droop it. He will be posed at the rear of the tank and this is how he died.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thats the fun part will look forward to seeing how he turns out, ;)

First Name
Robert
Hi guys I could do with some advice.

I am at the stage of washes and given the p4 decals etc and then I noticed ref pics of ash on the lower tracks of burnt out tank I'm trying to recreate. The bogies / wheels on left side ( damaged and burnt side are loose so I took them off to take off the rubber tyres ( not easy) , is there a 1/35 panzer 4 wheel set I can get that has no rubber tyres on them ( scanned internet but came up empty handed ) the only one I found was for Jagdpanzer which had steel wheels front 4 ) I studied the photos of burnt out tanks and the rubber burnt but the steel rims remain. I have spent time sanding the rubber off one wheel but is there a easier route to take?

Robert

D

dubster72

I know that Mig Productions do a set Robert

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/194725-mig-productions-mp-35-128-burnt-out-panzer-iv-road-wheels

However, I searched but couldn't find anyone selling them at the moment.

Cutting rather than sanding would seem a better & quicker way to go.

Get a pair of pliers, or even better a pair of cutters & snip off sections of the tyre, going round the wheel with each snip. You'll end up with a rough-looking end result, but you can then sand down the remaining rough bits fairly easily with 120 grit wet & dry.

If you've already glued the 2 parts of each roadwheel together the job will be harder :sad:

If my explanation isn't too clear, let me know coz I've got some spare wheels that I can chop up to illustrate what I mean.

ps those steel wheels on the Jagdpanzer IV were to compensate for the weight of the L/70 barrel ;)

First Name
Robert
\ said:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/194725-mig-productions-mp-35-128-burnt-out-panzer-iv-road-wheels

Get a pair of pliers, or even better a pair of cutters & snip off sections of the tyre, going round the wheel with each snip. You'll end up with a rough-looking end result, but you can then sand down the remaining rough bits fairly easily with 120 grit wet & dry.

If you've already glued the 2 parts of each roadwheel together the job will be harder :sad:

If my explanation isn't too clear, let me know coz I've got some spare wheels that I can chop up to illustrate what I mean.

ps those steel wheels on the Jagdpanzer IV were to compensate for the weight of the L/70 barrel ;)
Thanks Patrick

I had glued the wheels together but only with Tamiya thin ( painted etc but then noticed the ref pics

The wheels ( 5 I've taking off split with aid of a scalpel handle ( no damage. )........ Wish I'd taken the blade out first!!!!!

I had seen a set of burnt out panzer wheels on evilbay but at £11+ postage ?? Well thought for what I'm doing and most covered in l ash would not be really worth it

Going to do the clipper trick ( good idea )

( top rollers x 4 are iddy biddy so they gona be harder but I'll get there ( going to keep a watchful eye on the carpet monster if I drop them!!

Cheers

Robert

D

dubster72

Yeah buying 'ready made' stuff kinda takes the fun out of it!

Personally I wouldn't bother with the return rollers coz they're so small.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Hi guys I could do with some advice.
I am at the stage of washes and given the p4 decals etc and then I noticed ref pics of ash on the lower tracks of burnt out tank I'm trying to recreate. The bogies / wheels on left side ( damaged and burnt side are loose so I took them off to take off the rubber tyres ( not easy) , is there a 1/35 panzer 4 wheel set I can get that has no rubber tyres on them ( scanned internet but came up empty handed ) the only one I found was for Jagdpanzer which had steel wheels front 4 ) I studied the photos of burnt out tanks and the rubber burnt but the steel rims remain. I have spent time sanding the rubber off one wheel but is there a easier route to take?

Robert
I think if I was doing it Rob

\ said:

If I can add a little to Patrick's great advice. The rubber on the road wheels probably wouldn't burn off 100%, there will be some residual rubber, albeit burnt ....... So leaving them a little uneven and rough wouldn't really go amiss, I would think.

First Name
Robert
Thanks again guys I've gone with Patrick's idea butt left them all a little uneven as the flames diner always burn at the same time. Will sand the small top rollers down best I can although in the whole if it your not going to see the full effect of them anyway. Need to do some more work on the pastels to get that bluefish steel burn right and add some whisks of white and rust to emulate the burn pattern. Will ne d to do the running bogies too and once all that's done I need to concentrate on dead Germans and try to emulate the shadows of the burns to the uniforms and get the facial features right again with shadows and less pinkness to the skin tones.

Cheers

Robert

First Name
Robert
Quick update. After taking the bogies down abd making them rubber-less ( this is where the ash will be placed)

I had some disasters with my pastels (long story) so got some new ones ( faber- castell ) oil pastels and had to restart the burns again. First the black soot this gives me the base and bits in pastels give residue look.Thenn image.jpeg

with hints of blue grey, dark blue reddy brown ( rust ) pics taken only after black soot on

Mixed with WS and goes on a treat

There will be sandbags ( home made) on front of panzer

Comments both sides, advice and critics welcome.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
That's looking really great Robert. Si will be getting jealous................ I have one small comment mate. The first pic. There is a straight line that I focussed on straight off which needs attention mate. I've highlighted it in RED. I would have bothered if it hadn't jumped out at me..........

image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
\ said:
That's looking really great Robert. Si will be getting jealous................ I have one small comment mate. The first pic. There is a straight line that I focussed on straight off which needs attention mate. I've highlighted it in RED. I would have bothered if it hadn't jumped out at me..........
Good eyesight Peter!!! but this was only the base of soot ( burn put down and will be going over this later with my blue grey mix./ layering as I go ( remember where I put that straight line) I want to edge the burn to create 3D depth ( that's going yo be harder to achieve

Robert

First Name
Robert
Update;

Started on the base for the Panzer IV hoping to get finished before years end ( made a base from polystyrene ) then pancake of modelling clay, then I made a concoction of cat litter crushed with water and Pva and pasted onto the dry base.

Once this dry 12 /24hrs I'll start to spray and weather up

Got the track prints in the soft clay and the front sink marks ready for Panzer IV ( still adding to the look of burns and rust, figures almost finished too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good so far Robert,very nice start ,will be waiting to see what colors you use, ;)

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Blimey Robert, the whole thing is looking brilliant, you've made a cracking job on the weathering/burning and the base is looking good. I'm watching for the finish

Phil

First Name
Robert
Update

I have nearly got the panzer IV ready and the figs are almost there.

Spent the afternoon doing the base and I'm pretty proud of it to say it's only my second dio

Paints used Tamiya/ Vallejo and various oils in washes and detail paint.

It's the desert Libya

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking nice so far liking the base colors, ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
This build is coming along well Robert....I wish I was that bloody fast. :smiling3: