Scotties Airfix M3A1 Scout car.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Perfect or not, it looks damn good to me!
cheers Graeme.
Not perfect but so close as to make no difference.
Thank you Jim.
Mutticus Nutticus mate - superb work!
Steve
Cheers Steve.

I wish I hadn't started now as the windscreen needs to be scratches as well, this is because I have miscalculated and the whole front end is a little thinner than it should be due to be not allowing for the thinner sheet. But hey ho it should look like a scout when I'm finished.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
How dare you miscalculate, you do not miscalculate, you say the measurements are smaller to allow for heat and the expansion of the parts, as the vehicle was measured on a hot day and you are modelling on a cold day - just ask any driver that has one....
I'm beginning to wonder when you are going to start building the kit....
There is some great work going on in this build, looking forward to seeing more and picking your brains when we next meet.
Mike.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
How dare you miscalculate, you do not miscalculate, you say the measurements are smaller to allow for heat and the expansion of the parts, as the vehicle was measured on a hot day and you are modelling on a cold day - just ask any driver that has one....
I'm beginning to wonder when you are going to start building the kit....
There is some great work going on in this build, looking forward to seeing more and picking your brains when we next meet.
Mike.
What can I say mate, most of my model building is cuffing it as I go along :tongue-out3: . It will be good to catch up again there should be a good crowd at the show this year.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I am struggling at the moment as getting cramps in my hand. Will post some pictures on the next update.
I'd rather you stick to pictures of your model :tears-of-joy:

In all seriousness, I hope the cramps subside. I get them occasionally and they are annoying, especially when you have finally got that tiny piece into the right place and don't want to move!

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike

In all seriousness, I hope the cramps subside. I get them occasionally and they are annoying, especially when you have finally got that tiny piece into the right place and don't want to move!
Tell me about it...
You pick up a piece and get the 'thumb' wobble, or you hold a piece in place with the tip of the scalpel, only for it to come away when you were certain the c/a had dried, or you held the piece with your finger and when you removed your finger the piece had vanished, then after spending 15 minutes with your nose to the bench you find it - stuck to the end of your finger.....

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

Cheers mate, I can go weeks without getting a cramp but as sods law dictates you get them when you are trying to hold or make something small.
Tell me about it...
You pick up a piece and get the 'thumb' wobble, or you hold a piece in place with the tip of the scalpel, only for it to come away when you were certain the c/a had dried, or you held the piece with your finger and when you removed your finger the piece had vanished, then after spending 15 minutes with your nose to the bench you find it - stuck to the end of your finger.....
You are so right, the joys of modelling.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It's been a while since I did an update. both doors are now finished with internal and external details added from pewter, copper wire and plastic. I still have to make and add the hinges. The windscreen is under construction so please ignore the bits sticking out. The bumpers have been made from thin brass sheet.

DSCF4178.JPG

a bit of clean up around the detail is required.

DSCF4179.JPG

DSCF4180.JPG

the rear luggage rack is also now fitted.

DSCF4181.JPG

I am going tp probably put this to one side now for a while and start something else as I am loosing a bit of interest in this now It turned out to be a lot more work than I envisaged. Or I might just do a bit here and there.

cheers
Scottie

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
It will be a crime to paint this one, you have put so much work into it, it has got to be shown.... Plain black base will show it of even more.

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Absolutely amazing detail Paul, hopefully you can find a way to keep the mojo to finish this one

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great detailing Scottie as always. I hope the hand cramps improve. I don't know about you but my fingers "lock up" much more in the cold, damp of winter.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
All the extra work is making a big difference Paul, sometimes it's best to put a build to one side & come back to it when you're in the mood for it.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good mate even if most of it is still on the sprues lol
Cheers Mark, it wasn't my intention when i started lol.
It will be a crime to paint this one, you have put so much work into it, it has got to be shown.... Plain black base will show it of even more.
I'm not even sure it will get to the stage when it needs painting.
Great detailing Scottie as always. I hope the hand cramps improve. I don't know about you but my fingers "lock up" much more in the cold, damp of winter.
Jim, I can go for weeks without any cramps then I will get them for a couple of days running then nothing again.
All the extra work is making a big difference Paul, sometimes it's best to put a build to one side & come back to it when you're in the mood for it.
Hi Graeme, it's certialy making a difference to my sanity :tongue-out3:
Think Graeme is right Paul.
This has been a really hard build , but superb.
Dare you to do a build straight out of the box !

See you tomorrow .
Your right John it has been a hard build but it has pushed my skills and although I was getting fed up with it, it is also satisfying every time another step is finished.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I'm not sure if you have anything that makes you more susceptible Paul, but cramp (in layman's terms) is quite often as simple as dehydration. If you find drinking more water doesn't help, electrolytes could well be the answer.

The build however, is beyond my words.