Shenanigans 3: Tamiya mate and Willys Jeep

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well you are certainly forging ahead with the builds. The jeep is stunning. Luving the stowage. Well I wish you all the best with the figures. I know its been a while at this scale. I hope all goes well. Take care my friend

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
The Jeep looks great. take your time with the figures don't give yourself headaches.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

Very nice couple of vehicles. But now 1/35 scale figures.....attach your specs.

John

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks people.

I intend to take it fairly easy with the figures - my eyes are definitely feeling the strain of the scale.

I also need to think about a base. I've got a bit of grass mat, which may work with a bit of sprucing up.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great work on the jeep, John is spot on, you can always recognise a "Peter Day" vehicle by the quality of the accessories.

Today is the start of the figures and 1:35 and Tamiya originals too!

I haven't painted a Tamiya head for years, I would always swap them for Hornet.

Extra strong Anadin at the ready.

I am off to see the surgeon for an update on my knee, later this morning.

Have a good day and take it easy with the painting.

Whatever to you do will be well received

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a catch up....you don’t disappoint as always. Cracking work, especially on the stowage. Agree ref. Modern trends.....looking at period pictures I have struggled to find vehicles with the degree of chipping usually depicted. There are occasional vehicles with this, but it does not appear to be anywhere near as prevalent as modellers show it to be....

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Hope the knee passes muster. On to the figures with some trepidation....

Tim - Many thanks. I watched a a programme about Arnhem yesterday, and later the World at War about the fall of France, keeping a very close eye on footage of armour. It would take an awful lot of use and time to produce significant chipping and rust in my opinion, though dirt can build up very quickly, given the right conditions. I would presume that crews were encouraged to keep their vehicles as clean as possible, though there would of course be some situations (such as prolonged combat) where that would be impossible.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Both vehicles and the first figure look very good indeed. As a lot of the guys have said they have your style.
Jim

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Peter,
Cracking paint work on the first figure of yours, your normal high standard.. can sympathize regarding eye strain at 1/35 scale. I love the scale but the figures can be taxing at times regarding preparation and painting.....
Look forward to the others....

Regards Mike

D

Deleted member 6559

Dave - I've just stopped!

Jim - Thank you. The 'style' thing is purely accidental - I can't do it any other way.

Mike - I have a problem with my eyes in that the focus in each differs wildly (Anisometropia). It's got worse as I've got older, as I'm not only very short-sighted but have lost my near vision. Lots of juggling with specs etc. I therefore find the smaller scales very taxing.

That said, I decided to completely knock my eyes out for the day and get on with the next figure. I had intended to just do the head today, but before I knew it the hours had passed and he was finished:

I decided to mount him in his final position, out of harm's way.

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Mike.

This one may grow as I've decided to order an Italeri M6:

I was looking for a cheap kit, and this looked like an interesting subject. It is supplied with three figures serving the gun in action poses, which will not fit the present scenario (and may not be any good) so I've also ordered a couple of Verlinden figures:

If the kit figures are OK, I may just do a separate action vignette and use the Verlindens on the present project.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Third figure painted and mounted. Here are Bill and Ben:

Now for Little Weed. Weeeeeeeeed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
What for the base or to smoke because I know a man if you know what I mean. Nudge nudge wink wink say no more.

D

Deleted member 6559

I meant it totally honestly Steve - pure Bill and Ben ''Quick, the gardener's returning from his lunch!'' OK, perhaps too many Anadin Extras......

First Name
Andrew
Peter,
I should have guessed that you have been busy while my back was turned! Great to catch up! Not too many Anadins I hope?! Take care of those eyes!
Andy