Shenanigans 3: Tamiya mate and Willys Jeep

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - I'm stuck with this style anyway. Glad you like Bill and Ben.

Scottie - Many thanks.

Andy - Good of you to look in. The eyes are holding up, thanks.

And the jeep driver:

Of course the right hand wouldn't meet with the steering wheel, so I've had to give him a folded map to hold.

This is the ensemble so far:

That's the set-up done as I initially envisioned it, but I've now taken possession of the Revell M6 and Verlinden figures. I'll check them out and let you know if they will be added.

D

Deleted member 6559

I decided to mount the NCO on the mate, as I felt that Bill and Ben looked a bit like spare parts sitting alone:

I've now had a look at the new kits and I think I will include them with the above in a diorama.

First the M6:

This looks like a nice simple kit (fingers crossed). As it turns out, the only figure included is a driver, which is a bit cheeky, given the box art. However, it is really bad, so it's probably a blessing in disguise.

The Verlinden figures should go with the truck well enough:

These are really superb and put the Tamiya figures to shame, always a danger when mixing and matching. I'll have to see what they all look like together when finished before making a firm commitment to a group dio.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter it doesn't get any better than this, well done at the scale. Don't over do it.
See what you mean about the Verlinden compared to Tamiya :surprised:.
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you John

I couldn't resist putting them on a simple base:

I've decided that it looks fine as it is, so I'm going to call this one complete and build the M6 as a stand alone project with a new thread. Thanks for all the fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

Great job Obolob weed.....

John

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
D

Deleted member 6559

John Weeeeeeeed!

Gary - Could well be. The figure looks like it could be an Airfix at least.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Peter,
I’m going to strongly recommend that you steer clear of armour modelling in future! Your making the rest of us look bad:smiling5:

Love it, excellent paintwork sir:smiling4:

D

Deleted member 6559

Si - Kind of you to say so, but I'm in awe in what you chaps achieve.

Tim - Weeeeeeed!

Greg - Very many thanks.

R

RichardMo

Ah those 1/35 days endless possibilities. My mind says yes my eyes say NOO. glad to see you can still achieve such fine work on that scale. I think your end result is amazing .
RICK

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Simple base it my be, but artistically set out.
Nice one Peter .
Now looking fwd to the next build. Try not to get too good at this please :smiling2: Si is quite right !
John .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
D

Deleted member 6559

Rick - I have ended up with a blinding headache after two days of painting 1/35 figures. I should have taken it easier, but there are a couple of bust commissions in the offing, and anyway I got a bit over-enthusiastic.

John - Thanks. The base is just a bit of Model Scene grass mat, but I was struck by the way the green in it off-set the colour of the vehicles and decided I liked the effect. I was looking at the M6 kit last night and it does seem a bit basic - the holstered carbines look like wooden crutches and there are release points all over the front of the radiator grill. It will need a lot of sorting out and quite a bit of extra stowage to deal with the problems.

Lee - Thank also. Perhaps I should explain the weed references for those not of a certain age and nationality. The two crew reminded me of 'Bill and Ben, the Flowerpot Men' a couple of puppet characters from a children's TV programme of the 1960s. They were mostly made of flowerpots, and lived in two larger pots, between which grew a plant called Little Weed. Little Weed woke up when the gardener went in for his lunch and Bill and Ben came out to play. They all talked a weirdly intelligable nonsense language and Little Weed used to shout 'Weeeeed!' all the time, especially when warning Bill and Ben that the gardener was on his way back. There was also a tortoise called Old Slowcoach. They don't make 'em like that any more!

Awwww! Makes me well-up.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Bad headache due to over enthusiastic painting!

Enough said!

As some of the chaps have already commented Peter, good to hear you are going back to your busts as you put armour modellers to shame with speed, detail, figures, base and quality finish by improving very basic kits.

I think you have made the right decision with the M6 and mate, they are going to make two separate scenarios, the mate and jeep looks spot on, and your Tamiya figures are quite unbelievable, everyone else would have swapped the heads!

Well done Peter

Hopefully a headache reduced/free day today?

I am hoping for the same with my knees, the new one is fine, the left is being a real pain!

Back to work for me by 180319, so I will need to get stuck into the builds I have started.

Have a good and pain free day

regards

Steve H

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Bit more for the B and B cognoscenti.....
The language is called Oddle Poddle, there are web sites for it, honest! Bill and Ben were voiced by Peter Hawkins, who also did Noddy, Captain Pugwash, Tintin, and Bleep and booster amongst others. He was also the original Dalek and Cyberman voices and the original Zippy from rainbow.....kids TV royalty or what....then again, perhaps he was all the BBC could afford ..... I remember him on the nineties early evening show Wogan years ago, repeating back phrases in oddle poddle that were given to him by the audience ..... Nigel Lawson was apparently niggly lawpoop.....
Great painting by the way Peter, it appears I said “Hello, just hello”. Earlier so I thought I’d better clear it up.....