Tag Picture Quiz

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Foiled by a TV programme I didn’t know existed … Have you thought of anything, or do you want someone else to take another go? :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jakko. It was a programme about electromagnetic monorails. I'll have a think and take a go.

D

Deleted member 6559

OK. What bridges are these and what well known work did they inspire?

tag.jpg

Extra points for the date of the raid that destroyed them etc.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I’ve just been reading Crete by Antony Beevor so I think these may have been the target for Operation Harling in November 1942.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That photo looks familiar, but I can’t place it :sad:

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Gorgopotamos Viaduct, Phthiotis, Greece

Lee

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Code named Operation Harling.

But I’m not so certain it’s that set of bridges and viaducts, I don’t think it is Bielefeld either.

Gorgopotamos is central Greece, it's not an island, I'm sticking where I am until told differently

Lee

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The bridges at Toko Ri. Movie of same name. Actually at Samdong Ni after raid by Navy Skyraiders & Corsairs off of Valley Forge (aka Happy Valley, later Death Valley) Feb. 8, 1952. PaulE.

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Gorgopotamos is central Greece, it's not an island, I'm sticking where I am until told differently

Lee

I think I am being misunderstood, I read a book about the battle of Crete, it mentioned an SOE raid on mainland Greece (Crete is part of Greece by the way). Operation Harling was the code name of the raid - the raid on Gorgopotamos bridges.

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I think I am being misunderstood, I read a book about the battle of Crete, it mentioned an SOE raid on mainland Greece (Crete is part of Greece by the way). Operation Harling was the code name of the raid - the raid on Gorgopotamos bridges.

Maybe there is a miscommunication, I saw what you wrote and googled it. Yes you said Crete and Peter said no... Crete is an island, Phthiotis is mainland Greece, after googling where the Gorgopotamos Viaduct was, that was the location given!

Lee

D

Deleted member 6559

Now, now boys. It wasn't Greece or Crete anyway.

Paul got it. It's the bridges at Samdong-Ni. James L Michener witnessed the raid and wrote the book 'Bridges at Toko -Ri'', later made into the film staring William Holden, Mickey Rooney and Grace Kelly.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Maybe there is a miscommunication, I saw what you wrote and googled it. Yes you said Crete and Peter said no... Crete is an island, Phthiotis is mainland Greece, after googling where the Gorgopotamos Viaduct was, that was the location given!

Lee

I said I read a book about Crete, I didn’t say Operation Harling was on Crete.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Glad I didn't answer now, I thought it was a John Wayne film!

Pete