Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Dave. I'm convinced now. That would have taken a whole day or maybe longer with tape and a scalpel.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice work Dave. I'm convinced now. That would have taken a whole day or maybe longer with tape and a scalpel.
A lot neater than I can do with tape and scalpel as well.I actually did it at work as we've no aircraft in at the moment.

First Name
Dave
I've glued the canopy and the bomb aimers windows on to the fuselage.The canopy wasn't a very good fit.I had to super glue the forward half onto the model then fill in the gap around the rest of the canopy with Gator Glue.Then I turned my attention to the gun turrets.I removed the plastic barrels from the front and dorsal turrets.Then I drilled holes and fitted the brass after market barrels.The barrels in the kit for the tail turret were longer than the replacement brass barrels.So I lengthened them with brass tube and glued them to the tail turret.Aflter a bit of turret painting ,I glued the engine cowling and tailplane halves together.Tomorrow I will mask off the turrets so I can spray the gun barrels.

View attachment 119265

View attachment 119266

View attachment 119267

View attachment 119268

View attachment 119269

View attachment 119270

View attachment 119271

View attachment 119272

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A

AlasdairGF

Coming along nicely. The brass barrels look the business, interested to see how much difference they make on the final build. Had considered them but at 1/72 it seemed unnecessary... but not sure I've done the right thing.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Coming along nicely. The brass barrels look the business, interested to see how much difference they make on the final build. Had considered them but at 1/72 it seemed unnecessary... but not sure I've done the right thing.
I think the barrels and the mask set are a good investment.Not sure about the interior detail set though.But that's why I only buy the Eduard Zoom sets.They give you a few bits like the instrument panels for a very reasonable price.As you say ,probably not necessary in 1/72 as hard to see even in 1/48.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent work Dave I love the Lancaster and I'm looking forward to seeing this finished. I know this is jumping the gun a bit but any thoughts on which particular aircraft you're going to finish it as?

I will definitely buy the HK 1/32 Lanc it just has to be done.

Cheers

P

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Excellent work Dave I love the Lancaster and I'm looking forward to seeing this finished. I know this is jumping the gun bit but any thoughts on which particular aircraft you're going to finish it as?
I will definitely buy the HK 1/32 Lanc it just has to be done.

Cheers

P
Not sure yet.Probably one of the kit schemes.Although I've got left over decals from the last time I built this kit for Guy Gibsons 'Admiral Prune'.An aircraft he flew before he commanded 617 sqdn.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Looking good Dave, the Eduard bits are really good aren't they and I should imagine the masks are a must for some of the old bombers.

Phil

First Name
Dave
I've assembled and glued on the tailplanes.Ive filled the gaps at the fuselage join with perfect plastic putty.Its great for this job as it can be smeared into the join and the excess cleaned off with damp cotton buds.No sanding needed.The elevator trailing edges are quite thick and could do with thinning down.But I've just left them as they are.And I've glued the engine cowling halves together then glued them to the lower wings.View attachment 119456

View attachment 119457

image.jpg

image.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Coming along nicely Dave. Pre cut masks, I'm all for them...

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Those gun barrels certainly make a big difference Dave, nice work.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Very nice Dave are you going to detail the bomb bay or do as standard
I'm going to do the bomb bay using only the kit supplied items. I might even close the bomb doors.I haven't decided yet.

P

Paulali

what a cracking build,i have only recently started kit making again,but there are many builds on here of a very high quality,this being one of them

First Name
Dave