TAMIYA SU 76 WW2

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm in. I've brought my own parrot too. His name is Percy. He only has one leg but he sure can talk, so watch out!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
My Steve has aged since he came to this forum I knew all that high detailing would catch up some day

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Patience lad, I'm sure Maistro will begin shortly.
Cheers, Rick H.

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Brilliant mate! Now I know that's not me on the left so is it you, Mr T, Jim, Scottie or Neo???:smiling5::smiling::smiling2::smiling3::smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Did they include the decoy dummy? Looks like a female in the Ghilly (sp?) suit. Maybe a team to pick off her leavings. PaulE

Hi Paul....... No its just 4 figures, as for the woman suppose its meant to be one of the many top Russian snipers. Don't think I will use her. more for a wooded dio.
Dzhon

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in. I've brought my own parrot too. His name is Percy. He only has one leg but he sure can talk, so watch out!
Ron.... and Percy ..... nice to see you both. There are perches available could you ask Allen if you need one. Polly will be down soon to say hello .
I see you got my good side in the photo.:smiling3::smiling5:

Hi mate......... its from the ones we had taken a couple of years ago when we had a Rabble Day out. :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:.

My Steve has aged since he came to this forum I knew all that high detailing would catch up some day

Combined with his lifestyle Lee !

This could well be a record, 3rd page of the thread and no actual plastic glued yet! :tears-of-joy:

Bob......... this is a common occurrence on Rabble builds :smiling: At times some members completely forget what the build is about and go off on the most obscure things. :smiling3:.

Patience lad, I'm sure Maistro will begin shortly.
Cheers, Rick H.

Rick ........ thank you , a start has been made, see further down this page or on the next one .:upside:

Not to worry Steve, us detailers can take it.......
View attachment 320452

Cheers, Mike.

The one on the right is Herr A Dewire , note the ex army trousers, the dog by the way is not his ! As for the one on the left Ron has sent me a cheque to say its him. :flushed:

Should we make a start ?

Evening gang.
As the weather today has been wet what better than to put on the heater and close the cave door.

Working with both the instruction book and the PE sheet a start was made. It soon became apparent that not all the PE was eye friendly and I'm sorry to say that the ammo racks and the machine gun ammo was a no no.

_MG_4071.jpg SU2.jpg
Just as well it's not very clear, I managed the bends with little or no problem , but the clips,( you can just about see them at the top ) were a night mare. I even wrapped them round a shell casing to get the shape, but when I went to apply the CA it went wrong. I tried a toothpick to apply a small drop, all this did was to stick the PE to the stick. :sad::sad::sad::smiling3:. Funny now, but not at the time.

The only thing at that time I did glue well was the CA bottle to the mat !!!! That takes some skill I can tell you.

Carried on adding the bits that I could, the ammo storage front and the doors were ok, i've left the doors at different angles just to give it some detail. Went on the do as much of the PE as possible, the chain on the side was fun, bit messy looking at it , but after the weathering I'm sure no one will notice. The floor area was worth it , the support rails and the raised deck area cam out reasonably well

_MG_4070.jpg SU1.jpg
The photo above shows the first aid box, I decided to use the PE one as the detail was better, and Aber showed where it should have been fitted. As you can see the ammo racks are in, there is a dividing bar half way to separate the rounds. This will have to be fitted after painting and the back shells have been fitted.
Couple of nice seats, think I will attempt to give them some sort of texture, I remember someone on here using a strapping from a first aid kit, that had the right look.

_MG_4074.jpg SU3.jpg
The right hand side, some PE to the front with a leaver to close the opening, can see the leaver now , so hope its still there. !
That lid thing , well it looked good, with the hinges , but now I'm not so sure, think there is more detail in the box it's self.
Managed to snap one of those bars , but slapped some TXT straight on and itd as good as new.

Now I know how good everyone says Tamiya fit and how its simple........... until I arrive, I ended up with a gap under the rear , soon filled and then fitted the front, the horizontal section went in , but the sloping front caused a little trouble. I just couldn't manage to get
my depth right and had to trim a bit each side on the lower section. Suddenly it went in, so TXT quickly applied. Think some filler will be needed when I have a look tomorrow.

SU4.jpg

So a good start, don't think the rest of the plastic sections will take very long. The Fruil are pretty small , but I have my way of assembly, slow but sure. I need a twin really , he or she could do the builds and I could quite happily build dioramas until the cows come home.
Figures should be here this week, looking fwd to doing those !!

Comments and abuse from the Rabble is expected.
Thanks for looking in. Sorry no refunds.

Dzhon.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Nice start John, that's looking very nice.

If you don't mind a bit of advice, the fighting compartment gets very tight once the gun and figures are in, you might want to have a test fit now to make sure they clear the open door of the ammo storage. :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice start John, that's looking very nice.

If you don't mind a bit of advice, the fighting compartment gets very tight once the gun and figures are in, you might want to have a test fit now to make sure they clear the open door of the ammo storage. :smiling3:
Thanks Bob. :thumb2:... glad for the input. See what you mean, I shall check to morrow when I build up the gun.
John.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ron.... and Percy ..... nice to see you both. There are perches available could you ask Allen if you need one. Polly will be down soon to say hello .

Hi mate......... its from the ones we had taken a couple of years ago when we had a Rabble Day out. :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:.

Combined with his lifestyle Lee !

Bob......... this is a common occurrence on Rabble builds :smiling: At times some members completely forget what the build is about and go off on the most obscure things. :smiling3:.

Rick ........ thank you , a start has been made, see further down this page or on the next one .:upside:

The one on the right is Herr A Dewire , note the ex army trousers, the dog by the way is not his ! As for the one on the left Ron has sent me a cheque to say its him. :flushed:

Should we make a start ?

Evening gang.
As the weather today has been wet what better than to put on the heater and close the cave door.

Working with both the instruction book and the PE sheet a start was made. It soon became apparent that not all the PE was eye friendly and I'm sorry to say that the ammo racks and the machine gun ammo was a no no.

View attachment 320488
Just as well it's not very clear, I managed the bends with little or no problem , but the clips,( you can just about see them at the top ) were a night mare. I even wrapped them round a shell casing to get the shape, but when I went to apply the CA it went wrong. I tried a toothpick to apply a small drop, all this did was to stick the PE to the stick. :sad::sad::sad::smiling3:. Funny now, but not at the time.

The only thing at that time I did glue well was the CA bottle to the mat !!!! That takes some skill I can tell you.

Carried on adding the bits that I could, the ammo storage front and the doors were ok, i've left the doors at different angles just to give it some detail. Went on the do as much of the PE as possible, the chain on the side was fun, bit messy looking at it , but after the weathering I'm sure no one will notice. The floor area was worth it , the support rails and the raised deck area cam out reasonably well

View attachment 320490
The photo above shows the first aid box, I decided to use the PE one as the detail was better, and Aber showed where it should have been fitted. As you can see the ammo racks are in, there is a dividing bar half way to separate the rounds. This will have to be fitted after painting and the back shells have been fitted.
Couple of nice seats, think I will attempt to give them some sort of texture, I remember someone on here using a strapping from a first aid kit, that had the right look.

View attachment 320491
The right hand side, some PE to the front with a leaver to close the opening, can see the leaver now , so hope its still there. !
That lid thing , well it looked good, with the hinges , but now I'm not so sure, think there is more detail in the box it's self.
Managed to snap one of those bars , but slapped some TXT straight on and itd as good as new.

Now I know how good everyone says Tamiya fit and how its simple........... until I arrive, I ended up with a gap under the rear , soon filled and then fitted the front, the horizontal section went in , but the sloping front caused a little trouble. I just couldn't manage to get
my depth right and had to trim a bit each side on the lower section. Suddenly it went in, so TXT quickly applied. Think some filler will be needed when I have a look tomorrow.

View attachment 320493

So a good start, don't think the rest of the plastic sections will take very long. The Fruil are pretty small , but I have my way of assembly, slow but sure. I need a twin really , he or she could do the builds and I could quite happily build dioramas until the cows come home.
Figures should be here this week, looking fwd to doing those !!

Comments and abuse from the Rabble is expected.
Thanks for looking in. Sorry no refunds.

Dzhon.
Hello Sticky John,
Applying minute c/a problems. I use the tip of a scalpel blade #10A, just dip the tip into a small amount of c/a and touch it to the parts you want joined and let the capillary action do the rest. Keep the blade in the handle, it makes it easier to control.
As for the texture on the seats I normally use a square of plain tissue, hold this over the seat and then run liquid cement over it, it soaks through the tissue and glues the tissue to the seat, once dry trim to fit.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Mike.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hello Sticky John,
Applying minute c/a problems. I use the tip of a scalpel blade #10A, just dip the tip into a small amount of c/a and touch it to the parts you want joined and let the capillary action do the rest. Keep the blade in the handle, it makes it easier to control.
As for the texture on the seats I normally use a square of plain tissue, hold this over the seat and then run liquid cement over it, it soaks through the tissue and glues the tissue to the seat, once dry trim to fit.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Mike.
Mike ........ thank you, ..you guys make it sound so simple :flushed::smiling2: honestly If I tried that whats the betting I glue the bl****y blade to the PE. But I will have a go and post the photos. :thumb2: Nice idea for the seats, now that is something I feel I could do. I'm an expert at getting more glue on a model than anyone I know.
John.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike ........ thank you, ..you guys make it sound so simple :flushed::smiling2: honestly If I tried that whats the betting I glue the bl****y blade to the PE. But I will have a go and post the photos. :thumb2: Nice idea for the seats, now that is something I feel I could do. I'm an expert at getting more glue on a model than anyone I know.
John.
John, Just use a light touch and use the thin c/a, it flows so much better. It's when you look in the mirror in the morning and realise, those are not the zits of a 70 year old, but all those bolt heads that were dipped in c/a and then just flew into space........ Cheers, Mike.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
John, if it helps I put a blob of CA on some masking tape and dip the part in it. Any excess can be wiped off on the tape before applying the part to the kit.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Dzohn. Here's my 'before detailing' pic. PaulE View attachment 320489
Is anyone else feeling a bit un-comfy?
th

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Actually, that's my #2 son's recent pic after dropping some weight for a role. Not bad for mid-forties. There is a resemblance to my former self, just 9lbs ago and less volume in bicep & chest. PaulE