TAMIYA SU 76 WW2

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, Just use a light touch and use the thin c/a, it flows so much better. It's when you look in the mirror in the morning and realise, those are not the zits of a 70 year old, but all those bolt heads that were dipped in c/a and then just flew into space........ Cheers, Mike.
God that made me laugh, the looking in the mirror bit. :smiling2::smiling2: I will try

John, if it helps I put a blob of CA on some masking tape and dip the part in it. Any excess can be wiped off on the tape before applying the part to the kit.
Bob ........ another tip, well given I'm not gardening tomorrow, just catching the ladies cat for a visit to the vet. The cat by the of LOLA and I are on good terms at the moment , this may not be the case by mid morning tomorrow. :flushed:. I shall attempt this as well .One dat I will find a method that suits. I've tried the needle with the eye part cut out to leave a fork like tool. That was ok, but couldn't find it earlier.

Is anyone else feeling a bit un-comfy?
th
Well now we know its Paul's son Its ok :hungry:

Actually, that's my #2 son's recent pic after dropping some weight for a role. Not bad for mid-forties. There is a resemblance to my former self, just 9lbs ago and less volume in bicep & chest. PaulE
Paul....... you mention role ? no doubt an actor but whereabouts .

You see Bob , this is what happens when we all get started. :smiling::smiling:

Hopefully more tomorrow, night all .
John.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
NYC. His hobby is film making. Insurgent Pictures is his outfit. Several pretty violent films behind him, much to his mothers' dismay. He does pick up roles on the side like this one where he plays a business man. The costumer is going nuts trying to cover him up. When he was heavier he stood in for John Cenna for a photo shoot to give you an idea.
The PE looks good Dzohn. All those angles in the fighting compartment looks like trouble..hope not. PaulE

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
NYC. His hobby is film making. Insurgent Pictures is his outfit. Several pretty violent films behind him, much to his mothers' dismay. He does pick up roles on the side like this one where he plays a business man. The costumer is going nuts trying to cover him up. When he was heavier he stood in for John Cenna for a photo shoot to give you an idea.
The PE looks good Dzohn. All those angles in the fighting compartment looks like trouble..hope not. PaulE[/QUOTE

Thanks Paul. ...been to their site and seen Dan's name mentioned on several titles . Good for him :thumb2:
As for the beast ,
not much room in there , very cramped , no where to step back to like when firing a similar sized field gun .

Dzhon

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
You're up and running. In my PE experience it either goes right first or second time or it becomes a nightmare. I often use a tiny drop of Gator Glue to fix the part. It gives wriggle time and also if it goes wrong the glue cleans up with water and I can have another go. When the part is fixed I wick thin CA along the join. I pick up the CA on a piece of thin wire.
For seat texture I have had some success with that medical micro porous tape.

P1010141(1).JPG
P1010301(1).JPG
Watch that b****y parrot of Ron's and carry on.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Your off to a great start mate. For applying CA I use a needle with the tip of the eye removed to form a small fork. When it gets blocked I just hold it over a flame but be carefull of the fumes. The needle is held in an old blade handle.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Your off and running mate. Looks like you have quite a challenge ahead of you. I use Jim's tip for seat coverage and it works a treat. Keep it comin mate:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, just to give you an idea of just how tight it's going to get in there. :surprised:

Wow.......,Bob I would't want to be in there when it fired. See what you mean, I checked the doors earlier and they will be ok. Had a bit of flex in them . Thanks for the photo.

Hi John
You're up and running. In my PE experience it either goes right first or second time or it becomes a nightmare. I often use a tiny drop of Gator Glue to fix the part. It gives wriggle time and also if it goes wrong the glue cleans up with water and I can have another go. When the part is fixed I wick thin CA along the join. I pick up the CA on a piece of thin wire.
For seat texture I have had some success with that medical micro porous tape.

View attachment 320527
View attachment 320528
Watch that b****y parrot of Ron's and carry on.
Jim

Hi Jim....... more success today with the CA , more of that later. Yes that's the stuff I meant, hope I can get that sort of look.
Thanks for the photo.

John,
Your off to a great start mate. For applying CA I use a needle with the tip of the eye removed to form a small fork. When it gets blocked I just hold it over a flame but be carefull of the fumes. The needle is held in an old blade handle.

Paul....... I remember you telling me about this a few years ago, unfortunately I mislaid the needle Management supplied. This is what happens when a clean up is instructed. :sad:.

Your off and running mate. Looks like you have quite a challenge ahead of you. I use Jim's tip for seat coverage and it works a treat. Keep it comin mate:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Steve....... suggest you look away when you see my PE, not for the likes of you guys. :worried::smiling:.

First I'm going to thank you all for the support, as you know only having one eye for modelling causes several problems, now mostly I can cope and find some things ok. But this PE just gets to me.

For a start I wondered why when I had fitted one of those fantastic minute tips I still had great blobs of glue every where, it soon became apparent after I had glued my thumb and forefinger to the upturned bottle ( Do not laugh at this point ) that the bottle nozzle above the tip connection was leaking. So now firmly glued to the bottle and CA on the bench , I missed the upturned cap, soon managed to perform rapid skin removal. I now have two very pink inner sections of the left thumb and fore finger. The bottle I'm sure could be heard laughing. Bl***y thing.

Once I had recovered from this assault I managed to get some glue onto an lid. Having lost my needle , suitable modified I founs one of those PE glue tools, rather like Pauls needle in appearance. I decided to have another crack at this shiny art form.

_MG_4083.jpg SU10.jpg
Of course I managed to get that dark plate top left on the wrong face
, its now on the other side. I was going to use the kit part, they do look ok , but on the thick side, but having thought I will try again.
There is a little less glue, more than any of you would leave behind but I did it.!!

_MG_4084.jpg SU11.jpg
Just under the shiny plate you will be able to see some remains of glue, now this is the second problem that I face, I just can't see the blob of glue !! until I realise there's too much when it dries. Got to start putting less on, now Jim's idea should work for me so I'm going to get some of that Gator Glue and then wick the CA.

Elsewhere things were moving on , the gap on the sloped front was filled.

_MG_4077.jpg SU9.jpg
Found the best method was to use a damp make up sponge, and lightly take it over the filler, very littlre clean up needed.
That front plate had to be trimmed each side by a nats do da until it just went in. Don't know where I went wrong here, but its all good now. This part had been done before I altered the skin on my finger and thumb.:upside:

_MG_4078.JPG

Having seen from Bob's photo how cramped it is in the gun area most of the little errors will disappear. :smiling3:
This was the gun assembly, one of those black things, ( I 'm not going out side to look ) fits between the two sections, and glue is applied elsewhere, allowing the barrel to elevate.
_MG_4076.jpg SU8.jpg
And here it is fully glued and by jove its not going to move, or come apart. :tongue-out3:
_MG_4079.JPG

Well that's today's offering, always fun at Race Towers, can never be said a dull place to be .
Comments welcome, thanks again for the advice. :thumb2:
Hopefully more tomorrow.
Dzhon.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
John, I think Bob is on to something. You might have to look at getting some smaller "Trotskys" to man the gun on your SU76:tongue-out3:
Cheers, Rick H.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John
Looking good take it slow and steady my friend you’ll get there

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Well done for persevering with the etch John

A piece of wire will generally pick up enough CA on the end - you don't need much at all

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I feel your pain JR. I opened the PE for my new project and nearly fainted. Lots of little brass C links to thread through a part for the back of the rear baskets. Already decided I'm using wire instead :dizzy::face-with-head-bandage:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That's coming on nicely John. :smiling3:

Have you noticed yet how similar the commander figure looks to Vladimir Putin?

D

Deleted member 6559

Great stuff John. Now that the Rabble have settled down you've been able to get on with this one.