John
Thanks Mick.
Glad I'm not alone then :tongue-out3:
John .

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
The engine is coming superbly.... well done John...following with excitement...:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Greg.
I managed some more tonight, following the fantastic photos on
Stalinets S-65 (ChTZ-65), Shamansky's Workshop, Moscow, Russia, by Yuri Pasholok .....http://svsm.org/gallery/chtz-65.
Having fun, only downside today was the small PE for the name plate on the grill. Could I get it to stay in place as I tried to spot with the CA . It stuck to the needle , my thumb, the bench, I got out the mat varnish in the end . The tractor is now being held in an upright position while the varnish dries . I noticed later there was a spare name logo, so if the first falls off ! As for the 4 smallest pieces of PE I have ever seen, they must be less than a mill in dia. Will use some plastiknut heads instead . They are supposed to go in each corner of the rad screen .
John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Ahh, pewter :hungry:

Engine looking good John :thumb2:

Those Yuri photos I pointed you at really are very useful - unfortunately they show that the 1/72 version tracks are rubbish so mine has gone on hold again

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Simon for the comment.
That site is the dogs, 200 plus photos , been superb for the detailing. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
John.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Have you had a look around at the other vehicles yet? There are some great walkarounds

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No Simon.
But I shall do, such a good site. .
John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This site, prime portal and net maquettes are always my go too sites for research:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for those other sites Steve.
As you appear to be following m e around the site,
This site, prime portal and net maquettes are always my go too sites for research:thumb2:
Thanks Steve.
oh , as you seem to be on the early shift and me on the late, perhaps you could post for both of us while I get on with these tracks :nerd:,
it would save a lot of time .
JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Yeah, but my comments may get you into trouble with the members:smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Interesting history. Far more captured equipment was pressed into service by all sides than one would imagine.
As for the Plastic Mat Monster - pesky little critter he is. Just having his bit of fun at your expense.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Steve and Jim.
Steve....... Yes maybe a bad idea then :tongue-out3:
Jim....... I had no idea of how much it was done. As it's mentioned in the Tankograd book the Germans had massive parks of captured vehicles after the start of the war. There is one photo of numerous St65's lined up like a second hand tractor dealer.

Just a few photos today, not taken in the new light tent as I'm surrounded by 4 ladies who have returned from an annual lunch that they have.

Most of the engine detailing is done, I've left off many of the protruding items from exterior as all the moving around to get the cab to fit will result in them snapping.
Tracks!! Not my favorite thing as many of you know. The only tracks I have ever liked are the metal ones with the clips for joining.

These with the kit are 3 part, a track plate, and 2 links in a very a thin brown plastic. The pin holes are of course very small, and you need to line up the two track links in one go. A rather slow process.

IMG_20180623_165127.jpg
IMG_20180623_165059.jpgIMG_20180623_165157.jpgIMG_20180623_165213.jpg
The cab is having to be raised by 3mm . I took a section of 266 4.8mm Evergreen channel removing one edge of the channel leaving the 3mm required. The cab is only placed on for the photo as I need to cut and angle the return under the doors.
I can see this part of the build will take some dry runs as I need to get the the driver in, his seat and make the window screen and door glazing as I have no idea where the original parts have gone ! I don't think the 3mm raised section will look out of place as these types of field modifications would have used any available material, a bit like me.:tongue-out3:
Returning to the tracks, I've found the kit instructions, a drawing only are not really clear as to which step to do first. Proberly not to an more experienced modeller.Using the intruction from PMMS has made the whole thing easier Laugh now should you wish but being left handed does effect the way I understand and read drawings, I don't know if I'm alone on this .:smirk:

Right leaving you to ponder thank you for looking in .
Comments ,abuse from the rabbel, suggestions to take up another hobby welcome .:tongue-out3::tongue-out3::smiling2:
John .

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Sorry to hear about your build woes. It is a pain in the Ar*& when instructions are not clear, I am struggling with the etch instructions.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Paul..... Its nice to know that someone like you finds the instruction somewhat odd .

Some of the etch on this was 4 bolt head s! Needless to say I didn't bother and used 4 Master bolt head instead. Mind you these were fun , stuck them down in the end with matt varnish as every time I tried to use CA it stuck to the needle !
Peter .... Thanks , I think the word Track should be classed along with the name MiniArt !
I'm enjoying the build more than some of the past ones, the cab is fun as is the engine.
Thanks guys .
John .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
having worked through this model a while ago I had a thought - if you are not bothered about 'working' links - assemble the links ( TR2 & TR3 ) together first in runs, before adding the track plates TR1. You should be able to do this around the idlers & sprockets as well, ie a chain of links then adding all the track plates. It's not that bad, only 34 links a side!
Cheers
Dave

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning John,
Looking very good and pretty close to finishing the build:thumb2:
Getting the cab and associated parts together sounds like it may test your patience :upside:....I’m sure you’ll get it sorted mate!
Si

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
As he peered through the morning gloom as the fog decended on Shez Race, I spotted a faint outline of a beast coming towards me. Was it a bird, was it a plane, was it Superman? No it was a Russian Resin racer!!! I know you get all steamed up and emotional when you model mate but you may want to give the lens a quick wipe over next time:smiling5:

Despite the issues mate this build is looking great. Hopefully you have managed to get it sorted now:thumb2:

Steve

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
As he peered through the morning gloom as the fog decended on Shez Race, I spotted a faint outline of a beast coming towards me. Was it a bird, was it a plane, was it Superman? No it was a Russian Resin racer!!! I know you get all steamed up and emotional when you model mate but you may want to give the lens a quick wipe over next time:smiling5:

Despite the issues mate this build is looking great. Hopefully you have managed to get it sorted now:thumb2:

Steve
And there was me thinking John was going for a sultry, sensual modelling style:tongue-out3: