"Which way did they go, tracker?"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Danny, your post made me reflect on what a great forum this is.....

Where else could you go from a 'serious' opening build thread - to Kimosabe, Capt. Findus, thru to a John Wayne film? Yet still strike a good balance between serious modelling endevour, and a good helping of humour.

John, the owner of Scale Models wanted a friendly Forum and, as far as I can see, he has it in bucket loads. This forum is unique and long may it stay so.......

Cheers,

Ron

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Sorry Danny, but if you're going for a John Wayne western it's got to be "She wore a yellow ribbon" The best JW cowie ever!!

Tony.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's the start of the base work fellas....

I had a bit of luck when rooting for a suitable base. I came across a thick piece of polystyrene that was already scooped out for my flat bit of water. I don't know what was originally in it, but it's perfect for my 'pool'...I put the horse and rider on it and compressed the base as much as I dared - it finished up 11" x 9".

I have formed the landscape with scrap bits of styrene, just torn up in a random way and stuck down. I use UHU POR, this is for polystyrene and doesn't melt the stuff.....I have made the lip for the waterfall and as it stands, the straight drop is scale 12ft, so should be interesting forming that!

I'm trying to get the area looking like a place that's a bit short of greenery and more rocky...Like wot we see in the cowboy filums!

The flat area on the left is for a rundown shack....

If you have a go at this sort of thing, I'm finding if you start at the bottom of the stream with the first scrap bits, then work your way up to above the waterfall, things seem to somehow fall into place and start to look natural, then start again and place other bits on top of those already there, thus forming ledges. Don't mess about carefully positioning things - just bung them on rough and ready....

You can just make out where the three water elements will go.....The waterfall down onto a flat slab, down into a big pool, then down a small rapid at the front of the dio.

This is just the initial rock work, next I will get trowelling with the tile adhesive to get a bit more form into the rocks and overhangs. I'll also bed some scale boulders and the like into the adhesive whilst it's still wet.....

The pictures show the basic layering stages.

I hope you approve of the start of our journey into the Black Hills of Dakota!!!!....Or The Lake District if you prefer!

Cheers all,

Ron

View attachment 60364

View attachment 60365

View attachment 60366

View attachment 60367

View attachment 60368

View attachment 60369

Which way tracker. 005.jpg

Which way tracker. 006.jpg

Which way tracker. 008.jpg

Which way tracker. 013.jpg

Which way tracker. 012.jpg

Which way tracker. 018.jpg

D

Danny

Thanks Tony !!! now the song is in my head !!! " She wore it for her lover in the US Cavalreeeeee " ...

Danny

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work matey! I can get a good feel for it by looking at pic no 6 , ,even in bare polystyrene its looking like rocks already . keep the pics coming , cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tony, it's coming on steadily. I'll get some tile sticky on it next and add some more rocks and things.....then step back and ponder!

Cheers mate,

Ron

First Name
Aaron
Awewsome, i love masterbox sets.

I really enjoy watching your dios come to fruition Ron.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging posts boys, glad you approve of the progress up to now....

I've just finished this next stage. Can you believe outside in the sunshine too!

Last night I gave the whole thing a good brushing with diluted PVA. This morning I collected some small gravel from our path - bit of luck here - I wanted the boulders to be the same colour as I've seen in the movies...a sort of Cotswold buff colour. I actually found the exact colour in amongst the gravel on our drive!

So after I trowelled on the tile adhesive, I stuck the stones here and there into the stuff whilst it was still wet.

I've also tried to blend in the horizontal rock strata lines a bit more....

Yet another discovery, I was going to paint the polystyrene a buff colour at a later stage, then I realised the bits of gravel were very soft, so I crushed them all up to a dust with a hammer, then applied more diluted PVA and sprinkled the ground up stuff onto it...I'm well chuffed with the result.

It's taking shape now, a bit more work on the scenery and the bottom of the waterfall pool to come - I'll use the same method for this as I did for the water in the 'Vietnam' GB dio, then I'll break off and make me a run down shack.

Here's some pickies of this latest stage. Picture 6 gives a fair idea of what I'm aiming for. The waterfall will hit the flat bit, then run into the pool, and where you can see what looks like a wall that is where the pool will end, then a little rapid will be running out at the bottom, so to speak...The white bit top left is where I'm putting the shack.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 60404

View attachment 60405

View attachment 60406

View attachment 60407

View attachment 60408

View attachment 60409

Which way tracker. 020.jpg

Which way tracker. 022.jpg

Which way tracker. 019.jpg

Which way tracker. 021.jpg

Which way tracker. 024.jpg

Which way tracker. 023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jim Scott

It's already looking the business Ron, most definitely getting the western feel.

First Name
Michael
Ron, I got to tell you I really love watching you put these things together, one day I might even try one myself, thanks M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Your on a roll there Ron.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your input boys, very nice comments.....

It keeps the old lad going!

Ron

S

Sky Raider

Im back Ron, massive que at the kiosk, how did you get on so fast wow.

Andy

C

CDW

Wow .... very realistic .... simple method too, as always i'm most impressed Ron.

I would have commented earlier but i got stuck behind some bloke with a big 4x4 (looked like a Dodge ... ahem:smiling3:) who was buying all the popcorn :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

T

treyzx10r

Ron looks like another master work in the making for sure! I just made it to the Grand Canyon for the first time last summer and you've certainly captured that 'out west'look so far. Be waiting to see Marshall Dillon come ridin' along anytime in there,great stuff ! So eagerly awaiting the next update! cheers Trey

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great posts, the popcorn makers must be making a bomb out of you lot!...Perhaps John will consider stocking a few bags of the stuff, or even a popcorn maker......

To be honest Andy, once I had sussed about crushing the diddy stones, it only took me an hour to go from bare styrene to the last pictures. After fixing the big rocks, I just give it the PVA and then literally tipped the model on it's side and slung the crushed stuff all over and where it fell that's where it stayed....Rough as a bear's ar**, but it worked!

Trey, a good friend of mine who has never flown and swore he would, is actually flying over to see - amongst other things - the Grand Canyon, in a few months time....it looks one amazing place. Where exactly did you go to? I know it's a vast area, but if it's the same region he is going to, you might be able to help my friend with some advise.......Rather than clutter this thread, perhaps you could P.M. me? Thanks Trey.

Cheers all,

Ron

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Brilliant Ron, and I'm always amazed how you take stuff no one would think of and make it into something fantastic.

Looking great mate and can't wait for more.

Tony.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
coming together nicely buddy

R

rememal

Just found this one, Ron.

Looks like another masterpiece in the making.

Very unusual, and that`s why I like it

Hope there`s some popcorn left as I settle down to watch this one come together.

Malc.