"Which way did they go, tracker?"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the nice posts boys....save some popcorn for me, eh?.

Here's my first time go at a rough old shack. It was a toughy trying to get it to look summat like, but it was good fun....

I came up with the notion that whoever built it decided to use the stone lying around and mud from the stream, and then went up to the top of the waterfall and found a load of timber floating in the lake above....Sound plausible?!! No. I didn't think so either, but it's the best I could come up with!

The door is long gone, I've a couple of ideas I will add on to the shack later to make even more run down, as it's not quite as neglected as I want, but it's a start....

As shown in the pictures, I used my usual 'ouse building method for the shack sides and back. For the front, I just stuck the coffee stirrer, random width planks onto a timber frame in a rough and ready manner, as I suppose the pioneers would have done, then I painted it all with the usual children's water colours......

Here are the stage pictures of the construction....

Thanks for looking, and I hope you like my interpretation....Next up I will do a bit of work on the stream bed.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 60471

View attachment 60472

View attachment 60473

View attachment 60474

View attachment 60475

View attachment 60476

View attachment 60477

View attachment 60478

View attachment 60479

View attachment 60480

View attachment 60481

Which way tracker. 025.jpg

Which way tracker. 029.jpg

Which way tracker. 028.jpg

Which way tracker. 030.jpg

Which way tracker. 031.jpg

Which way tracker. 032.jpg

Which way tracker. 036.jpg

Which way tracker. 037.jpg

Which way tracker. 035.jpg

Which way tracker. 040.jpg

Which way tracker. 042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jim Scott

The shack looks neat Ron, what will you use to weather the wood?

Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim, actually the wood is weathered!lol

I was after that bleached, sun baked look, so I just painted the planks with a wash of brown/grey to keep the wood a light colour and just darkened the bottoms a bit and added just a hint of green too..

When you write 'weathered' do you mean darker?

Cheers,

Ron

J

Jim Scott

Hi Ron I must admit I didn't zoom in on the pictures :fool:sad:still getting used to this tablet thinggie). But now I can see that the they look sun bleached. I did mean darker I momentarily forgot about the western feel. Old age is setting in with me. Lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
No problem Jim, now't wrong with suggestions and or critisizm, that's how we all learn.....

Old age? Don't tell anyone, but hopefully in a couple of week's or so, the Chancellor will be paying me some dosh every week!!!!!

Cheers,

Ron

S

Sky Raider

Thats a rootin tootin yeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaa shack you got there partner.

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The hell you say, Boy! Hot dawg, dang me and all that old chap......

D

Danny

Impressed Ron...some nice creativity going on there for sure..Looking forward to your waterfall..keep up the good work, its excellent.

Danny

M

mobear

i was with you until the `old chap`bit lol.really nicely done on the bridge and shack

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ole, couldn't let the colonials have all the sentence could I?!

O.K., as it's raining, I've grabbed a bit of modelling time and moved onto the water and made a start on the pool. To get a sense of depth I started with a light colour, then getting darker towards the middle, ending up in almost black at the 'Bottom' This tricks the eye into thinking the fake water really is getting deeper.

If you look closely at pics. 1 & 2, you can see the 'ledge' I have formed around the perimeter of the pool, this is where the plastic sits....

Then I made a template of the surface shape and transferred this to my plastic - which was the lid from a box of Christmas crackers - cut this out and glued it in position on the ledge...Job done, apart from later, when a little 'touching up' around the edges to blend the water/ stones together will be needed.

Easy to do, no mixing, smell, heat, cracking or cost...We needed the crackers anyway!!

Here are the pictures of the pool....

Cheers all,

Ron

View attachment 60566

View attachment 60567

View attachment 60568

View attachment 60569

Which way tracker. 046.jpg

Which way tracker. 047.jpg

Which way tracker. 048.jpg

Which way tracker. 049.jpg

J

Jim Scott

It really does work Ron, makes me wonder why I am trying the resin stuff:smile8: good job...can't wait till the next instalment.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jim, nothing wrong with using resin. There are loads of great examples of resin water here on S.M.......It's just that I find the plastic fool proof and easy to use. Which is a big plus where I'm concerned!!!!! lol

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry ole, I forgot to thank you for your earlier post, I'm glad you like the water effect....

Malcolm, thank you too for your positive comments.

Cheers,

Ron

S

Sky Raider

Looking great as usual Ron, that water is floorless. Keep up the good work partner.

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Now that is a neat trick for sure Ron,really looks convincing!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andy and Trey for your positive comments about the pool.....

It really is a very easy method of 'making' water and gives a nice finish. The important part is getting the pool bottom painted right to make sure the illusion of depth looks right, because the plastic gives a crystal clear finish. There are various ways of dulling it down if required, just rubbing your fingers over it is one!

Thanks again,

Ron

C

CDW

another nice simple water effect (well within my brains creative powers:smiling3:)

Rickety bridge ... good

Rocky effect ... good

Shack ... good

...... that is all....