"Which way did they go, tracker?"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Colin, the water method suits thee and me......simple, easy and doesn't smell!!!!

Ron

D

Danny

Simple is always the best Ron and again, thanks to your good self I have a wee gold nugget of information regarding how to create the water effect....Thanks.

Danny

B

Bunkerbarge

Ron, I really enjoy watching you do something completely different as again you are doing here. That calm water is brilliant and really makes the whole setting come to life. As I've always said a diorama should tell a story to capture interest and yours is going to do it in buckets!!

P

Polux

It seems like.... (not, is better), that the former sets of Hollywood my friend! ;)

Great work so far!

Polux

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That water is ace, and such a simple idea.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Tony.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps, I'm glad you like the easy water trick!lol

O.K., I've gone and done me the blue belly.

Cracking model from Master Box. I've never made, much less painted a horse before, so I'm happy with the result.

Painted in primer then coloured with Childrens water colours, then as I reckon he has been travelling and living rough, I dunked him in some grey dust....The reins are thin paper strips. I now prefer paper over tin foil as I can get a far more natural bend, whereas foil easily kinks.

Another 'happy accident' occured after I had painted the horse brown. I was wondering how to get a shine on it's coat, when I noticed as I was painting it's white bits the brown was turning shiny just with me moving the model between my fingers, so I gave it a rub, just like Aladdin's lamp and up came a really nice shiny coat...Marvelous!!

I'm undecided about the horses mane. It doesn't look bad as it is.....What say you boys?

I hope you like the Sergeant....

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 61363

View attachment 61364

View attachment 61365

View attachment 61366

View attachment 61367

Which way tracker. 003.jpg

Which way tracker. 057.jpg

Which way tracker. 058.jpg

Which way tracker. 059.jpg

Which way tracker. 056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wicked good!

You should send a couple of photos to Master Box when its finished.

Ian M

C

CDW

ok then... my partner Elaine (who's been around horses all her life) says its very nicely done. one thing that needs touching up so its 100% is the area between the hoof and the white on the lower leg should also be white to depict a chestnut horse.

me ... I think its brilliant...but I know smeg all about dobbins

ps when you manage to get your backside up here we'll sort out a day for you on horseback with the riding school if you like :smiling3:

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
ok then... my partner Elaine (who's been around horses all her life) says its very nicely done. one thing that needs touching up so its 100% is the area between the hoof and the white on the lower leg should also be white to depict a chestnut horse.me ... I think its brilliant...but I know smeg all about dobbins

ps when you manage to get your backside up here we'll sort out a day for you on horseback with the riding school if you like :smiling3:
Thanks Ian, I'm glad you like my 'orse sodjer, and thanks also for your suggestion.

Same as you Colin. I know stuff all about neddies 'cept grass goes in one end and there is no sense of responsibility at the other!!

I daren't show the bride your P.S., she would be up there like a shot! However, watch this space, you never know........

Your lady's wish is my command......and please thank her for her input, it's much appreciated.

Just noticed, I've missed a bit of bridle - blind s**!

Ron

View attachment 61368

Which way tracker..jpg

T

treyzx10r

Wow Sarge and the horse look absolutely awesome Ron. Being a good ole boy from the South its hard for me to compliment a Blue belly and its mount, but they look so good I had to say it! Trey

D

Danny

Great work on the trooper and horse Ron...Im sure I can smell his chewin bacci and the after effects of his beans round the camp fire...or maybe its that awsome horse...

Danny

First Name
Chris
Cracking paint work Ron, another wee gem in the making me thinks.

Regards

Chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was half expecting him to have ridden off until I saw your second post!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys, nice posts.....made me chuckle!

I will now do the injun and 'is 'orse......

Cheers all,

Ron

C

CDW

\ said:
Your lady's wish is my command......and please thank her for her input, it's much appreciated.
She's thanked and says it looks much better now, she awaits the final reveal :smiling3:

\ said:
I will now do the injun and 'is 'orse......
Entering "geek mode" and offering some pointers if you dont mind Ron ..... from the box art he looks to be depicted as Apache (with, hmmm, artistic licence:smiling3:) after all.. they were excellent trackers.

So.... For total authenticity, no saddle and simple single rope bridle, also when you position the horse in the diorama it should be loose and just hovering behind the Native American showing horsey respect for the human it trusts the most.

J

Jim Scott

Astounding Ron the figure and horse paint work is exceptional.

Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
She's thanked and says it looks much better now, she awaits the final reveal :smiling3: Entering "geek mode" and offering some pointers if you dont mind Ron ..... from the box art he looks to be depicted as Apache (with, hmmm, artistic licence:smiling3:) after all.. they were excellent trackers.

So.... For total authenticity, no saddle and simple single rope bridle, also when you position the horse in the diorama it should be loose and just hovering behind the Native American showing horsey respect for the human it trusts the most.
Thanks Col', I sussed he was Germalino from the box art, thats why I chose the diorama to depict the sort of landscape the Apache lived in rather than greenery everywhere.

There is no saddle or 'proper' bridle in the kit, which I didn't expect anyway, just a readicut rug his missus knitted for him! - which is moulded on to the horse.

Thanks for the confirmation and the tip about positioning the horse, much appreciated....

Here are some pictures of the progress. The horse has just an undercoat, and Germalino is in primer. Great pose and just look how good the sculpt is of the indian's face, terrific work from Master Box...again!

Note also the pile of do do supplied with the kit, highly amusing!

Thanks again for your input.

Ron

View attachment 61375

View attachment 61376

Which way tracker. 060.jpg

Which way tracker. 062.jpg