B-17G Flying Fortress 'Miss Demeanor' 1/48 Monogram

T

treyzx10r

I'm making some corrections in the waist gunner area ,had to remove some details first

Got it all sanded will start adding the corrected floor and replacing stringers next

B

Buttonman

cor bro yet like makin life hard for yourself. Thought you'd have enough of B17's you've got a huge one in the front room?

Martin

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Joe!

Martin yes you would think I have abused myself enough,but nooooo! Thanks !

Made some headway correcting the waist gunner positions and starting to add details back in. The stringer detail first and this will be followed by some misc O2 bottles and ammo boxes.

Working my way aft I decided to tackle the tail wheel next. The kit detail is obviously innaccurate yet beefy to support the assembled kit. I went with a compromise to add detail and still maintain strength. Rivet counters will no doubt be screaming obceneties at me. I trimmed away some of the bulk from the mouting points and the protrusion through the bulk head was completely sanded smooth as it will be seen with the aft access door posed open.

Using some evergreen plastic rods & sheet stock I added the missing support arms and strut assembly,also removed more of the kit supplied assembly arm

The resin parts just needed some minor drilling and cleaning up and they are a great improvement over the kit supplied parts

.32 stainless safety wire added for the axle and attachment to the strut assembly

Finished assembly ready for some paint!

cheers Trey

First Name
Dave
Nice work on the tail wheel assembly.Looks very good to me.Who cares if its not totally accurate.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice job on that tail wheel Trey. The interior is progressing well now. I bet you will be glad to see the back of those stringers

T

treyzx10r

I hear ya Dave ,I think its going to be accurate enough and still have the strength it needs to support the weight and thanks for the kind words Gents!

I scratched the inner wheel well using a plunge mold,only took 3 tries to get a useable part!

Then added the tailwheel bulkhead,leaving the wheel itself off until the final assembly to avoid damage and make masking for paint a little easier

Starting to add seats and some more fiddly bits up front,the pe legs on the front seat were a bear to get bent correctly!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It's going to be a shame to close this up when the time comes Trey. You almost need a transparent fuselage half to display all your beautiful detail work.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Buttonman

Good god try think you've gone super detailing mad he he come on mate bet you can't close the fuselage. If the out side is the same as the inside she'll be a thing of beauty

How's the two of you especially Conner????

Martin

T

treyzx10r

Joe thanks,yes kinda sad to button up all that detail ! They make a version of this kit with a clear side but somehow it just does'nt 'look' right to me that way. Notice how one side of the fuse has a lot more stringer detail.

Martin thank you as well,I sure hope the outside goes easier(and quicker).Connor is doing well and says hello! He is getting ready for school to be out for the summer. He has gotten quite a bit of the HMS Belfast kit that you sent done when we get time I'll post up a thread. Hope all is well with you and thanks again,cheers Trey!

Not much of an update tonight,I'm sorting out the Norden bombsight and the little resin bits are maddening to deal with!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Some fantastic scratch building going on there Trey.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I just picked up on this thread Trey and went through the whole thing ............ I am absolutely in awe of your work. Absolutely superb.

Peter

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan,Peter thank you both for the kind words!

Starting the bombsight the blob of black on the left is obviously the kit supplied one,and its just a tad ought of scale!

The resin a/m may be just a tad small but comparing it to pics of the real deal its more true to size than what is given for sure. The resin part is 2 parts but I added a mounting pin to more securely mount it.

Then the forward gun control is next

A nice upgrade over the stock part

I'll get them painted up and mounted and be back with more pics soon ,cheers Trey

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's a big difference in the size of the bomb sights. More amazing detail going into this awesome build, look forward to more updates soon Trey.

C

Caledonia

Making my eyes water just looking at those tiny detail, great work Trey. Cheers Derek

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I really do admire your patience and attention to detail Trey.......... How many hours so far ?????

Peter