How's your Aircraft Recognition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kiwi

# 380 Looks like a Pitcairn PCA-2.

I agree with you about how hard it is to find previous posts. Is it possible to have a "find" function using the post numbers? Then as long as we use the post numbers all the time it would be much quicker, instead of just 3 pages at a time to pick from.

Heres another any way.

View attachment 7348

/monthly_2005_01/m77.jpg.a22c4cbe059ac608118aab89b6d4bb4c.jpg

View attachment 12043

View attachment 12643

m77.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I reckon that we are perhaps spoiling the fun for future participents in the reccie thread. Plus it is difficult to wade through past pages to check on a particular `plane in a half-forgotten page or post number. Any ideas how the answer can be hidden but available after you`ve "given-up" or automaticaly revealed after a certain period. The wealth of interesting machines seen has been an eye-opener for me . Any thoughts. Plus here is a wee easy one but a favourite of mine.
#380 Weir autogiro ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Regarding finding the subjects,it is not easy is it ? what about a seperate thread just for placing the photographs as a continious run ? that way answers could be given here such as 'answer to #2 is xxx' I quite often want to have a go at a few but wading through lots of posts puts me off,by having the dedicated thread anyone can go straight there,if they want the answers when the quiz has finished then these could be placed in sequence at the very end of the thread perhaps monthly,shall we give it a try ? so just to re-iterate-

1/ Poster places picture on seperate thread just for the aircraft,we could call this something like 'Aircraft quiz pictures only'

2/ Numbers will run in sequence and not interrupted by any other postings on guesses,they will remain here.

3/At the end of the month or whatever a list could appear of answers at the end of the last selection of types,this way anyone wishing to back track in the future ie new people could still enjoy the task of trying to identify them.

If anyone has any ideas then please speak up,together a better system can be evolved,like Duncan this has been an eye opener,both educational and great fun as well,if we need a new system then now is the time to put it into effect.

K

Kiwi

Wouldn't that mean you would have to duck and dive between two threads? i.e. Look at the photo, go to the answer thread to see if anyone has got it, back to the picture thread for a second look, back to the answer thread to put your bid in and so forth.

I'm not sure I know the solution to this.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Right you recognition addicts,I taken the bull by the horns and made a separate thread,perhaps Kiwi and Duncan can add numbers 2 and 3 to get the ball rolling,we can always fine tune the system,lets see if it works any better,we have been a victim of our own success,best of luck everyone ! remember we can chat here with the answers,just pictures on the other one,should work ok ?

D

duncan

Yep I`ll give it a go but the point was that once the plane has been identified it shouldnt be eliminated. Late arrivals on the Forum can have the same fun we`ve had with the same aircraft. The variety of types, jumping from bombers to helis to flying-boats, road-ables, etc is what I find amusing. We shouldnt get "anorack-ish" with rivet-counting Mk 1 ,oh no Mk 2.,3,4,5,6, of one type. For only a few folk involved posting they seem to get an awful lot of views. I think it the diversity of types, surprises , oddities,the "whatever next" aspect that is the reason for so many views................... and yes it was the :scotland: built in Scotland Weir W2 autogyro #380

D

duncan

#2..100% correct. I think #4 might be a Hind. Interesting to see one on floats, is that beaching gear or amphibious rig ?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
NEW#1 Nakajima "Kikka"' date=' smaller version of Me 262 copy .[/quote']*** Correct,go to top of the class Duncan.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well thanks Kiwi for transferring those others,everything is now neat and tidy and above all instantly accessible,swopping to here is much quicker than trying to find something before,so are we happy about placing the answers here ? and then perhaps once a week we can update the list,where is the best place to put the answers list,any thoughts on that ?

#2 is the Oka/Baka suicide bomb

#3 is the Tuscar Metals H70-H or also goes by another name Management Research Inc.

#4 looks like a Fairey ? something.

D

duncan

It was VERY easy...I`m building a semi-scale "Hindsite" at the moment !

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
#10 is not Dutch of any sort.#15 Cunliffe Owen Concordia?
***Cunliffe Owen Concordia is correct,first prototype of only two built,both aircraft lasted only from 1947 to 1948 when they were both scrapped,there was just no call for airliners in those days after the war,engines were Alvis Leonides,this photograph is a very recent discovery and the person who took it did not know of the historical significence of this rare machine,how many rare pictures have been destroyed I wonder ?

K

Kiwi

Duncan, can we have confirmation of the identity of #371 and #373? Or is it back to hunt?

D

duncan

Sorry, you were right ,as always!.. #371(on the ground) Hall PH2 ,#373( in flight) Hall YP2h.

Status
Not open for further replies.