How's your Aircraft Recognition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kiwi

#75 is not a "Hollywood Special"

Clue:The Chinese ordered 18 but apparently no more than a dozen were delivered.

D

duncan

Well..#83 Heston Racer ? What a fine selection for "prototypes worth modelling". Is the "fan-tail" job an amphibian, or is that a streamlined four wheel u/c. The "gentlemans sit-up-n-beg" observation plane is probably the inspiration for the "Pushy-Cat" model...probably small UK manfacturer. Miles ,Auster/Taylorcraft, H.P.even Slingsby, 1950s. Somebody trying for an AOP contract, English ?:noidea:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
and one more fairly easy one.
*** Heston Napier Racer,sadly crashed on its first take off at Heston aerodrome ( now absorbed into London Heathrow) a few years back Skysport Engineering at Hatch in Bedfordshire were planning on building a replica,the engine had been sourced to the College of aeronautics at Cranfield.

The cause of that crash was cooling problems which could have easily been resolved.

K

Kiwi

# 83 Correct, Napier-Heston Racer,

#84 That is a four wheel undercarriage set up, but not German

#85 Is a AOP contender

Built a "Pushy Cat" once, still have the plan and the Mills 75, might get around to doing it again (maybe 2 ch R/C?)

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
While we are all working on # 67, 74 and 80 here is another one to have a go at. Love the natty flying gear the pilots wearing. If I had 3 views it would make a lovely park flyer.Nev
*** The Fane F1/40 Air Observation post aircraft,machines such as these were developed prior to the advent of the successful helicopter,a very nice model subject,F.G.Miles also wore similar headgear whilst flying his aeroplanes.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
While we are all working on # 67, 74 and 80 here is another one to have a go at. Love the natty flying gear the pilots wearing. If I had 3 views it would make a lovely park flyer.Nev
*** Fane F1/40 Air Observation post ( sorry placed reply in the wrong section)

K

Kiwi

Right again! It was completed from the partially built Comper Scamp by Captain Fane.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Right again! It was completed from the partially built Comper Scamp by Captain Fane.
*** And that is interesting because #91 is indeed the Comper Scamp which was in fact a scaled down version of the Comper Fly ! so you have effectively answered the question and identified her,so the geneology of this aeroplane is as follows-

1/Comper Fly full size AOP design contender to Air Ministry spec.

2/Half scale version built as the Comper Scamp to test the design which would not leave the ground.

3/The aircraft was then taken away from Heston by the R.A.F and eventually evolved into the Fane F1/40 with what looks like a new wing section.

G-AGDJ was scrapped during 1939-41,what a great pity she never survived the war years,this one has been placed on my 'to build oneday' list !

D

duncan

Well guys this old computer duffer has some help tonight (hint picture coming up) The variable dihederal job is an ornithopter...? The Peashooter look-alike is it a Curtiss "Swift"? Now my turn, at last. What is this moulded construction tutor? My Polish friend and neighbour is helping with adding the pic. Thanks Marcin.

View attachment 7182

/monthly_2004_11/57272b6c8d949_guesswhat.jpg.24a5536136ca04adae0f43b01820664e.jpg

View attachment 11877

View attachment 12477

guess what.jpg

K

Kiwi

No it's not a Curtiss Swift, and the other one isn't an ornithopter but it was designed with some bird like characteristics. It crashed on its maiden flight, killing the designer. Barry has half the name

Now I had better have a think about that nice little yellow one.

It might be time to make a list of the outstanding posts still awaiting names.

Last edited:
D

duncan

#96 ..damn , another one out of "Flying Aces" ! #74 a Jonathon Livingston "Seagull".:music_whi....#55 Republic "Land Bee"........geez these Poles can down the pints!:beer2:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well guys this old computer duffer has some help tonight (hint picture coming up) The variable dihederal job is an ornithopter...? The Peashooter look-alike is it a Curtiss "Swift"? Now my turn' date=' at last. What is this moulded construction tutor? My Polish friend and neighbour is helping with adding the pic. Thanks Marcin.[/quote']*** Fairchild PT-23 Duncan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.