AFV 1/35 SCALE STURMTIGER.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Second revelation from the heavens or a double whammy with the lights...a dio and a lightbox. No star imoji's John so it's :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard
Wow.... Don't get many of those Richard, so thank you.
Great work Dzohn. Allen, he can't, we traded our meds to the dudes in Ward 8 for some of their apple brandy to give you on visit day see'in youve been deprived lo these many years.
Patient #105
Ward 9
Patient # 105 .... Thank you :thumb2::smiling:
All it needs now is the manger with baby Jesus.
The pigeon :poop: was bad enough, now you want a nativity scene.......:smiling:Thanks Jakko.
Having spent many hours working under & over cars in unlit/unheated garages by trouble light, your scene is very nostalgic. Top work Dzohn. PaulE
Thanks Paul...... I'm thrilled the way its come out, that yellowish light is right.
Blimey Mr R:surprised:.....
This is turning out a proper job sir! I am seriously impressed with the lighting inside the building and the building itself is some impressive work, you should be very pleased with your effort!

My only very slight critique, if I’m may be so bold...the crewman bending over look to have a shiny bum....maybe needs a little matt varnish?:thinking::tongue-out3:

Yours
Seriously impressed
Sussex
Be bold Si....indeed you are right, he has a smear of UHU on his lower back. I will rectify that today, and thanks for noticing it.:thumb2:

Thanks all, lovely comments.

Right just about to get up! Yes I know its 1059.hrs. Had two rounds of toast and coffee, its a hard life being retired !
John.
Suppose someone has to do it:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening all, as above I finally did get up after having well looked after by Management, who were up I have been informed since 05.30 !!!
My excuse I had been out yesterday in the fresh air at a friends sons passing out parade for the police.

Today I had wanted to start on the corrugated sheet fitting, but needed to add some edge supports, so once these were glued and Han's overalls redone with a coat of mat varnish I set too and anointed the light shades with the pigeon poo ! just a very stiff brush dabbed in to some off white paint and very gently applied. Thanks Si :thumb2:

As the edge supports were drying I started on the tarp on the near open side. Not all of the roof will be missing, but a good deal above where the timber structure has been put will be.

For tarps as in the past I use very fine tissue paper, the kind that is found in a shoe box. Used in conjunction with Clingfilm as a base. This of course stops any glue from falling on the model underneath. To make sure this didn't happen I put a larger sheet over the right hand roof, then another in the area where I wanted to apply the tissue. Mixing some PVA with a little water ( mainly to stop the paper from tearing) and adding a drop of Vallejo green primmer to add some pre colour.

First a shot or two for Si of the pigeon poo on the lights.

IMG_3909.JPGIMG_3910.JPG
Now the start of that tarp.

_MG_3918.JPG
First sheet of Clingfilm.

_MG_3920.JPG
Second applied on top.

_MG_3921.JPG_MG_3921.JPGIst sheet on.

_MG_3922.JPG
The third having just gone on a light brushing is done with downward brush strokes appling more of the glue. Once that is done a dab with some scrap tissue finishes the job. Now the wait for it to dry, and hopefully the peel off from the Clingfilm.
_MG_3923.JPG
Hopefully those nice creases in the sheet will stay. I know many of you use Milliput or similar but this has worked in the past for me.

Comments always welcome.......... and abuse if needed. Right off to make some tea. :nerd::smiling2:
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Mr Race, glad too see that one of your tricks does not involve combustion!!!!
:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

Paul.
:smiling2:
Paul...... I've just burst out laughing, great remark. No fire , promise! Thanks :smiling::smiling::smiling:
Wow ..... Peter, that's very kind in deed.:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::surprised::surprised::surprised::surprised::surprised::thumb2:
John,
Not quite sure how but this just keeps getting better, I am really impressed with the way this is all coming together.
Paul thank you..... That means a lot.

Well thank you again. Hopefully the tarp will be dry enough tomorrow afternoon. I can remove the pins holding the end supports and start on that sheeting.
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
No idea what you are doing mate but I look forward to seeing what it turns out like. Good luck:smiling5:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No idea what you are doing mate but I look forward to seeing what it turns out like. Good luck:smiling5:
That's two of us then Steve. !
Started on the corrugated sheeting fit tonight, surprised my self as it looks quite good. :flushed::rolling::upside:
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
WOW John what a wonderful atmosphere... the color of the light is really fantastic... very well done..
Thanks Greg...... sorry If I didn't reply earlier.

Hi all,
After tormenting Ron and his latest soon to be master piece I managed to get some work done

Sheeting done yesterday I have taken these shots today, this one just before I removed the clingfilm

_MG_3924.jpg A1.jpg

_MG_3927.JPG
Film removed, and no trace of glue anywhere on the inside. I've had to make a pewter gutter this took some time to get it into place and glued under the sheeting side as you can see in the first photo. Not sure about a down pipe as the right handside one was the only section I had. I hadn't really bothered about the left hand side at all, might in fact do this now as a rendered wall and the down pipe from some dowel at the other end, and another head

The building itself is supposed to be on the outside of a factory , hence those internal sliding doors.

Moving on .......... swiftly

_MG_3928.jpg A3.jpg
The clingfilm backing has been removed, I can now fit the corrugated sheets to this side, covering the area now exposed. The sheet will have more coats of paint applied and some shading for any folds. I leaving the torn bottom edge,

_MG_3932.jpgA2.jpg
as It looks right. Eyelets are going to be made from some scrap PE if I can see the things :smiling:

_MG_3925.JPG
The top edge is to be covered by the ridge capping as are the gable ends. The guttering has been primed with Mr Hobby and is ready for a trim followed by a very careful addition of paint. I did a repair on the second run from the right, every else will be trimmed. Don't know if to attempt to stick the overlapping sheets hard down ???? The building would have had some damage if the wall had collapsed, and the roof some internal pressure damage.
Certainly going to have fun doing the . 6 mm heads approx 30 per sheet run, so that will be approx 90 . I might give up after the first 10 if I can't see. :anguished:

When that's all done the overall roof will need to be blended in with a final spray and power pigment. The idea of the sheet was to have it removable so the inside detail could be seen.

Thanks for following comments please.

John.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
John,
More great progress, like the tarp also.
Cheers, Rick H.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
More great progress, like the tarp also.
Cheers, Rick H.
Thanks Rick.... Near sanity on here !
Great looking progress mate.
Paul thanks.
Not sure why I got the pigeon poop:surprised::smiling5:..... but excellent couple of updates sir! :thumb2:
Sorry Si .... It was Steve, right first letter ! :smiling:
Hi John
More real quality stuff.
Jim
Thank you Jim, hopefully not long to go
The more I look at the roof I think it needs further gluing,and the overall colour needs to be blended, what thoughts does anyone have.
Be brutal if needed :worried:
John.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
At 22 pages long, I can only apologise for not finding this build sooner. hmmm, specsavers maybe. But anyway, brilliant. I find with any really great dio, my eyes are wandering all over catching little bits of detail. There's no way I've seen and taken in all of your great work in just yet. There's just so much to see. Again, brilliant work.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
At 22 pages long, I can only apologise for not finding this build sooner. hmmm, specsavers maybe. But anyway, brilliant. I find with any really great dio, my eyes are wandering all over catching little bits of detail. There's no way I've seen and taken in all of your great work in just yet. There's just so much to see. Again, brilliant work.
Thank you Colin..... Seems its going on forever, glad you are enjoying it .
John.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks awesome John I like the lighting you’re hitting this one out of the park my favorite yet

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dzohn, I think blend more black/dark gray/dark brown on the metal roof. Wouldn't the plates overlap the fastening nails/bolts? At least covered w/tar. I use wrist watch hands w/eyelets cut off for gun sights. They'd prolly be small enough for your use & the hands something to hang on to till cured.